ring main.. with downstairs spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thanks to all that reply,
I'm rewiring the ring main of an old house. I've rewired the kitchen on a seperate ring. As there are only 10 other sockets in the house I'm going to create one ring for the bedrooms and living room. firstly is this acceptable? secondly all plaster is removed upstairs so complete rewire is easy,there are 4 sockets in the living room that used to be wired as spurs using junction boxes from a ring in the ceiling (i.e only one cable to each). Is it acceptable to rewire the upstairs as a traditional ring main and run the downstairs sockets as spurs to save chasing new cables.

thanks

Sponsored Links
ashm said:
I'm going to create one ring for the bedrooms and living room. firstly is this acceptable?

Yes

Is it acceptable to rewire the upstairs as a traditional ring main and run the downstairs sockets as spurs to save chasing new cables.

No.

Wire the downstairs as part of the ring.

Am I out of date? I thought the regulations were that the number of spurs should not exceed the number of sockets in the ring - therefore 4 spurs on a 6 socket ring is allowable.

Bit if it's possibe do it propery and make a full ring.

Sponsored Links
It is within regulations to do what the OP proposes, but it is a very poor way of doing things. If you are going to do a job do it properly and install a complete ring circuit.

Remember the OP asked if it was acceptable not if it was within current regulations. No decent spark would install a ring on the first floor and wire all the downstairs sockets using spurs just because he couldn't be bothered chasing out for new cables.

Davy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back