House rewire with asbestos ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking at getting a house rewired, which has asbestos (chrysotile) ceiling panels, with wooden strips between them.

I have asked a few electricians for rewire quotes, have pointed out the asbestos ceilings and have said that I don't want them touched (i.e. just rewire the existing fittings in their current location).

None of them have said that this is a problem, but is it really possible to rewire without any risk of disturbing the ceilings? Even though they aren't cutting into the ceilings to install lights, I'm concerned that even chasing the walls would risk damage where they meet the ceilings.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
None of them have said that this is a problem, but is it really possible to rewire without any risk of disturbing the ceilings?
It requires proper planning and care (and will be more costly). Replacing existing cables in luminaires and the luminaires themselves will certainly risk disturbing the Asbestos. I would ask them to produce RAMS to show how they intend to deal with the issue and avoid disturbance of the Asbestos.

Thanks for the advice.

Is there also a risk with chasing the walls where they meet the ceilings?

asbestos (chrysotile) ceiling panels ... I don't want them touched
Is that not barking mad?

Sorry, but I can't see any good reason for not getting a registered asbestos contractor in and removing every trace of the stuff before a single other thing is done.

Sponsored Links
Is that not barking mad?

Sorry, but I can't see any good reason for not getting a registered asbestos contractor in and removing every trace of the stuff before a single other thing is done.

I can't afford to have them done at the moment. The cheapest quote I got from an HSE licenced contractor was £7k plus VAT for removal and reinstatement.

The electrics (another £4K) do need doing from a safety point of view and, as I said, I had been advised that they could be done without disturbing the asbestos (which I understand is of no risk, if not disturbed).

Last edited:
Who has advised this can be done without disturbing the asbestos?

It sounds like both the electrics AND the ceilings need replacing - so you need to spend the money and do both at the same time. Waste of money only doing one.

I can't afford to have them done at the moment. The cheapest quote I got from an HSE licenced contractor was £7k plus VAT for removal and reinstatement.
Oh well - the care and then the funeral costs are not "at the moment", so by the time they kick in you'll be able to afford them, I guess.

(which I understand is of no risk, if not disturbed).
Indeed.

Which is OK, as there is absolutely no chance of any ceiling tiles ever getting damaged, even very slightly, is there.

Why are you

Why are you having the asbestos contractor include re-instatement of replacement ceilings in his quote? Simply have him strip and clear the area and dispose of rubbish and leave the ceilings open, you might then be able to get the electrical contractor to drop his quote a little as he can first fix from below instead of lifting boards. After first fix get a plasterer to re-board and skim.

Per the OP, apparently "a few electricians".

Kind Regards, John

Yes, and they have actually provided quotes also, and two have followed up to ask when I'm making a decision.

Oh well - the care and then the funeral costs are not "at the moment", so by the time they kick in you'll be able to afford them, I guess.

As I can't afford to do both, I think that the most common sense approach is to rectify the unmanageable risk (the electrics) and try to manage the asbestos (by making sure that any work done on it is done properly).

The alternative is to do nothing and live with dangerous electrics.

Indeed.

Which is OK, as there is absolutely no chance of any ceiling tiles ever getting damaged, even very slightly, is there.

Again, I think the best approach is good management of what should be a manageable risk. That, of course, is why I asked the question in the first place.

Why are you having the asbestos contractor include re-instatement of replacement ceilings in his quote? Simply have him strip and clear the area and dispose of rubbish and leave the ceilings open, you might then be able to get the electrical contractor to drop his quote a little as he can first fix from below instead of lifting boards. After first fix get a plasterer to re-board and skim.

Totally agree. They quoted for both jobs, but on the understanding that there would be a pause (after an air test) for the rewire work.

As I can't afford to do both, I think that the most common sense approach is to rectify the unmanageable risk (the electrics) and try to manage the asbestos (by making sure that any work done on it is done properly).
Unfortunately the risks of any of those things cannot be mitigated in any way by a lack of funds.

Again, I think the best approach is good management of what should be a manageable risk.
It's not.

Unless you really do think that there is absolutely no chance of any ceiling tiles ever getting damaged, even very slightly, in the normal course of events.

To clarify, it seems they aren't actually tiles - but large sheets (like plasterboard), with wooden battens fitted over the joins where filling in would otherwise crack.

Think I've got that right.

So the disturbance of re-wiring would in theory be removing light fitting screws, passing cables through existing holes, and hopefully replacing light fitting screws through existing holes.

As said, there is talk about chasing wires in the wall, where the wall meets the ceiling.

As far as lighting goes, is this necessary? There may be existing conduit.

You can afford chasing and plastering then?

The ceiling board will probably overlap the wall plaster, so...

Out of interest, what is wrong with the current electrics?

Is it rubber cable, and if so, which circuits are in rubber?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back