Rewire Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just has our recently purchased house rewired due to issues regarding previous owners' bodge work and undisclosed mice infestation.
We hired a qualified electrician who was recommended by the window fitter that's going to be doing for some work for us.
All of the walls are just plasterboard.
On a rewire, is it normal to have the electrician to cut 4" square chunks out of the plasterboard to put the wires in?
The old sockets were about 4" above the skirting but he's put all the new sockets 450mm from the floor, leaving just holes where the old sockets were.
The light switches have all be dropped to 1200mm from the floor, leaving the holes of the old switches.
When I asked about them, he said it was new regulations that required them to be that high. Is that correct?
The ceilings were artexed with a round pattern for the light fitting but he's discarded those and drilled though the ceiling in the centre of the room to put a new light fitting, leaving the hole and pattern where the old one used to be. The old fittings weren't centre but they worked with the layout of the rooms. When I asked why he'd done it, he said it was regulations that required it to be centre of the room.
He's also cut chunks out of the Coving and drilled 1" holes in the ceiling too for some reason, even though he had access to under the floorboards and in the loft.
I'm just querying if the socket/switch heights and ceiling rose location regulations he's stated are correct.

Thanks

Carl

Sponsored Links
He's a to$$er. The new regulations only apply to new build. Sorry, no real comfort to you.
And I have never heard of a 'centre of the room' rule.

Hi,
On a rewire, is it normal to have the electrician to cut 4" square chunks out of the plasterboard to put the wires in?
Its often necessary to cut an access to drill noggins, bits that came out should have been saved, and can be fixed back in by whoever is making good using a bit of timber

The old sockets were about 4" above the skirting but he's put all the new sockets 450mm from the floor, leaving just holes where the old sockets were.
The light switches have all be dropped to 1200mm from the floor, leaving the holes of the old switches.
When I asked about them, he said it was new regulations that required them to be that high. Is that correct?
New builds are required to have them at those heights, no need to so so on a rewire, although if doing a full refurbishment, some might choose to. Those heights are considered standard spec, however on a re-wire its something that should have been discussed, as much as, whether or not you are happy with the locations in the room for the sockets, or if you want more.

The ceilings were artexed with a round pattern for the light fitting but he's discarded those and drilled though the ceiling in the centre of the room to put a new light fitting, leaving the hole and pattern where the old one used to be. The old fittings weren't centre but they worked with the layout of the rooms. When I asked why he'd done it, he said it was regulations that required it to be centre of the room.
Nothing requires them in any particular place even on newbuilds, but again, centre of the room would be standard spec, but given the way the ceiling is decorated, its more than silly on his part to assume that you'd want to adopt that without even asking!

He's also cut chunks out of the Coving and drilled 1" holes in the ceiling too for some reason, even though he had access to under the floorboards and in the loft.

While a lot of times its possible to get up behind coving, in some situations it might prove necessary to take a slice out, again, should be done neatly and saved to go back in if its necessary. the 1" holes in the ceiling are confusing if there is access above.

Incorrectly added photos
s!Am5pSv_cMgCizwldwOHEDJd813Rv

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizwldwOHEDJd813Rv

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizwdwVNJqIl8jQSsI

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizwbYHzc7diykU_ft

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizwViwQSV9K6PBTYn

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizwRx23OGLRVJNuE3

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizwP4z5Ot1OXYta01

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizw3f3TUTfohvvSQ4

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizwwBF1m04rmV-FNp

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizw97ueD1130LVGSy

s!Am5pSv_cMgCizxHupRD4Kjsfe-8O

Sponsored Links
IMG_20200116_161454.jpg IMG_20200116_161504.jpg IMG_20200116_161553.jpg IMG_20200116_161720.jpg IMG_20200116_161520.jpg

In the 2nd to last picture, I've added the filler (badly I know).

Attachments

• IMG_20200116_161535.jpg
    IMG_20200116_161535.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20200116_161546.jpg
    IMG_20200116_161546.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_20200118_151613.jpg
    IMG_20200118_151613.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_20200118_151715.jpg
    IMG_20200118_151715.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20200118_152335.jpg
    IMG_20200118_152335.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 447
How utterly annoying. At least you hadn't freshly decorated it I guess!

In all honest, I expected the new sockets and switches going back into the holes the old ones were in.
I told him to do minimal damage to the walls but I could patch up small bits. But I told him not to damage the ceilings because of the pattern and there was no room in the budget to get walls replastered. The house is a 60s prefab so the walls are all hollow, with the odd one having an egg box construction inside. So we've had to use our kitchen budget to replaster all the walks and ceilings throughout the house.

We were due to have furniture delivered on Tuesday but one of his lads took the conservatory keys home and turned his phone off to save returning them so we had to refuse the delivery as we had nowhere else to store the stuff. We've now to pay £60 to have it redelivered.
The day they took the keys they decided to park one side of the van on the decking which broke the planks in the middle so it's now unsafe. Another unnecessary and unexpected expense.

Crikey, have you paid them? I'd deduct the cost of the decking repair off it at the very least...

Crikey, have you paid them? I'd deduct the cost of the decking repair off it at the very least...

The decking was on its way out and needed replacing but it was safe for a good 6 months when we'd have the money saved to sort it. We're now having to replace it with part of the kitchen money.
We still owe him £1400

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back