House Rewiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just purchased a 3 bed semi. I knew that the house would need rewiring as it has some old rubber coated cables, and braided cables from the ceiling rose and also round light sockets.

The wiring looks as if it has been added to over the years and is now in need of attention.

I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the length of time I should expect for an electrician to rewire the house.

I will be channeling where the wires need to go and cutting the holes so that the wall sockets can be flush mounted.

This would leave the electrician the following :-

1. install new consumer unit
2. upgrade meter tails
3. upgrade main earth
4. install 19 double sockets
5. install 2 single sockets
6. install 11 lighting points
7. install 2 2way lighting switch
8. install 1 cooker switch
9. install 1 spur

Thanks in advance

Paul

Sponsored Links
Paulonline said:
Hi all,

I have just purchased a 3 bed semi. I knew that the house would need rewiring as it has some old rubber coated cables, and braided cables from the ceiling rose and also round light sockets.

The wiring looks as if it has been added to over the years and is now in need of attention.

I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the length of time I should expect for an electrician to rewire the house.

I will be channeling where the wires need to go and cutting the holes so that the wall sockets can be flush mounted.

This would leave the electrician the following :-

1. install new consumer unit
2. upgrade meter tails
3. upgrade main earth
4. install 19 double sockets
5. install 2 single sockets
6. install 11 lighting points
7. install 2 2way lighting switch
8. install 1 cooker switch
9. install 1 spur

Thanks in advance

Paul

1 man 1 week
2 men 2 days

Roughly, it depends on access, cable runs, floorboards etc

But if your doing the donkey work cutting the channels, and the house is empty (or nearly empty) then its not a major job.

Thanks for your reply.

I have another question.

I am more than likely going to have the sockets in different locations from where they are currently. Therefore I could install the flushmounted sockets and install conduit piping to under the floor so I can make good the walls for decoration.

Would an electrician also alow me to run in cable that he specifies to the sockets so that all he is required to do it terminate them in the sockets themselves and the new consumer unit that he will install.

Paul

Paulonline said:
Thanks for your reply.

I have another question.

I am more than likely going to have the sockets in different locations from where they are currently. Therefore I could install the flushmounted sockets and install conduit piping to under the floor so I can make good the walls for decoration.

Would an electrician also alow me to run in cable that he specifies to the sockets so that all he is required to do it terminate them in the sockets themselves and the new consumer unit that he will install.

Paul

Yes, but the price went up. Sorry its the buggerance factor, it takes longer it costs more, and some sparks are going to walk because most people dont want a helpful householder getting stuck in. Also, its not always that easy to pull cables through those conduits, so they might just get ripped out by the sparky anyhow.

Chase the walls, get the floorboards up, clear the decks and ensure you have bacon and egg for a 10am buttie, and the sparks will love you.

You would make friends by volunteering to pull cables in the loft space, horrible job.

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the tips.

Bacon butties and crawling around in the muck it is then :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back