How long left to rewire house

Me and my mate have just finished rewiring an occupied 3 bedroomed ex-council house. Solid floors downstairs, normal floors upstairs.

26no. sockets (2no. ring finals, and 1no. radial circuit)
13no. light points and switches, and 1no. two way switch (2no. circuits)
3no. outside lights wired back to independant centre off switches at CU on own circuit
1no. 10.5kW shower supply
1no. 6kW cooker supply
1no. 4" bathroom fan, including core cutting through double skin wall.
1no. boiler supply on own circuit
1no. alarm supply on own circuit
1no. burglar alarm including 7 detectors, remote keypad, and bell box.

All power back on every night before we left.
Work around existing fitted kitchen.
All wiring and accesories flush mounted.
All making good of plasterwork by us.
Testing and notify LABC

Took us 8 days.

Fancy some work in Jersey?! :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I want a job in Jersey too, sick of the bloody rain here. I ma not qualified to do anything mind, but you can pay me to watch :D.

Amazingly it took 1 person a full weekend to rewire house back in 1980! Shows how much the regulations have changed. Mind you all he did was replace sockets in like for like positions and moved a couple of switches but most the cut outs were already there.

I don't think the regs have changed all that much in ways that would impact the time to rewire.

While i'm sure occasionally houses get rewired because the wiring is degraded i'd imagine it's pretty rare nowadays. PVC lasts an extremely long time in a typical domestic installation and most of the rubber should be gone by now.

So i'd imagine most rewires happen because people want a higher spec install. In particular recommendations (unlike in some countries we don't have regs about number of socket outlets) for numbers of socket outlets have increased hugely over the years as we all have more electrical appliances.

* According to BASEC 20 years is typical for fully loaded cables but cables in a domestic installation are not typically fully loaded for any significant length of time.

* According to BASEC 20 years is typical for fully loaded cables but cables in a domestic installation are not typically fully loaded for any significant length of time.
Do you know what 'fully loaded' means to them - are we talking about BS7671-like CCC figures (and operating temps) or, perhaps, appreciably higher ones?

I also wonder what they say/think happens after this 20 years of fully-loaded service - does the PVC get brittle, or what?

Maybe I'm an optimist, but, from what I've seen of ~50 year cables, it would not surprise me if, in ordinary domestic service, PVC cables would last almost 'for ever' - certainly for longer than a 'typical' human being!

Kind Regards, John

Well they also talk about overloaded cables so I would think that fully loaded would mean running continuously at the maximum acceptable core temperature. That is something that may happen in some commercial/industrial settings but is almost unheard of on domestic.

Well they also talk about overloaded cables so I would think that fully loaded would mean running continuously at the maximum acceptable core temperature. That is something that may happen in some commercial/industrial settings but is almost unheard of on domestic.
Fair enough, but, given that some people believe that the BS7671 CCC tables are very conservative, it would be interesting to know what sort of currents corresponded to those 'maximum acceptable core temperatures'.

As you say, no matter what those currents are (even if 'only' BS7671 ones), it must be almost unknown for such currents to flow continuously (if ever) in a domestic setting.

Kind Regards, John

Me and my mate have just finished rewiring an occupied 3 bedroomed ex-council house. Solid floors downstairs, normal floors upstairs.

Took us 8 days.

Now if it was still council it would have been done in less than a third of that time :p

Took you a while to think of that...

:LOL:

But now that you've dug it up, and brushed off the mud and worms...

m0t - how long did it take in the end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back