Rewire of house - currently vacant.

With all of that, this time a quote like the last one would be reasonable!

Check whoever quotes is registered and ask for references, I would supply both to a potential customer.

CBW

Sponsored Links
References are hugely important, as it the length of time the guy has been in business.

Sadly it is perfectly possible to become registered without actually having done a complete rewire, or indeed anything more complicated than installing a single-appliance radial circuit. Or even know how to wire up a 3-way light switching circuit.

Is the property to be rented ?

Reason I ask is that having a 3 floor unit and keeping the bathroom on the ground floor isn't adding value.

On the electrical side, will you require any direct (non) rcd circuits ? Thinking fridge / freezer and smoke alarms- both don't do well if another circuit trips the rcd they are on.

The fan in the bathroom should have a fan / light isolator (the f/spur is daft on a full rewire).

Are you happy that someone can turn the lights off in the bathroom from outside. Think kids and mum in the bath, night time.

No mirror illumination in the bathroom ?

No make for fittings- MK etc white plastic / flat metal etc.

Still no TV, phone, net, door bell etc ?

Thanks for all the responses guys. Yes i would imagaine £4k would be about right for that spec, but not for the first one he submitted!

Its a standard two storey house thats had the loft converted into two rooms, one fitted out as habitable space the other as loftspace, from the looks of the other properties it was done over 50 years ago to several of them.

Yes keeping bathroom on ground floor is not ideal, bit there is just not the money in the budget to replace a bedroom on 1st floor as a bathroom and add another bedroom on 2nd floor which would be ideal.

No not to be rented, family home.

I will add phone and TV circuits, thank you.

Sponsored Links
You need to get other quotations in for comparison.

I do council rewires with a minimal list like that and I charge £2500, inluding all the bonding, certs notification etc.
If the property is vacant then the price should definatley compensate for that.

More information is needed to be understood between the client and contractor

Plus you need to make sure your sister has EVERY SINGLE thing wanted down on the quotation, or else the contractor she takes on will possibly sting her with extra's

so what about lighting for the loft space?

:eek:

Its a standard two storey house that's had the loft converted into two rooms

:rolleyes:

2nd floor = loft conversion, keep up guys

Op says

Yes i would imagine £4k would be about right for that spec, but not for the first one he submitted!

Na- move upwards ++++++

But, and I'm serious here. Do it once and do it all. Adding on after the event of main rewire is very expensive. Miss something out and when it needs doing it means floors up again, chases in decorated rooms etc.

Scrimping on something that represents 2% of property final value (in Surrey) is a false economy.

Chri5 - i totally agree with you, but its not my house or my money. The situation is young couple with baby, wanting to get a house rather than their flat, have bough a renovation project to get the space they need at a cost they can afford.

So its having a full new plumbing job, new joists and flooring on ground floor because of rot, new windows, new doors, new electrics etc etc You can only spread a fixed amount so far.

As always, you should break cost down into parts plus labour.

Knock off the VAT as this goes to government, assuming VAT registered.

Parts you can work out yourself by getting on screwfix site and get costs of all bits. Add 50% if you like for all other stuff. net of VAT of course.

The rest is labour.

Ask how long it will take. Divide labour cost by labour days and work out whether that is a reasonable amount to pay for this kind of work. He may have a lad help out but I promise you he won't be paid much at all.

Rough figure of course but all you need.

For £4k you could do a part P course, get the test kit, get registered on a scheme, buy the parts, pay yourself a reasonable sum for the work, set up your own business, then start quoting yourself :)

Ask how long it will take. Divide labour cost by labour days and work out whether that is a reasonable amount to pay for this kind of work. He may have a lad help out but I promise you he won't be paid much at all.

Rough figure of course but all you need.

For £4k you could do a part P course, get the test kit, get registered on a scheme, buy the parts, pay yourself a reasonable sum for the work, set up your own business, then start quoting yourself :)

What a load of poo.

Ask how long it will take, add some time to do quotes (including those you don't get), add some time to do orders, collect materials, do bookeeping, sort insurance, pay suppliers, chase payments, get the van fixed etc.

Divide that by the labour cost, make a random stab at how much might be reasonable to pay for 'this kind of work', not forgetting to include all the regular overheads associated with being self employed as well as one-off expenses (eg van broken down this month, that'll be £800 sir).

Rough figure but thats all you need to make an ill-informed decision.

For 4k you'd be lucky to get any change from course costs and set up fees. Never mind any money left to pay for your time. Oh, and you might actually get a sparky who knows what they're doing, not someone fresh from a one-week-wonder course. :rolleyes:

Chaps, this labour v materials argument was done to death on another thread, so please dont start it again on this one.

She cares about the bottom line figure and quality of work, thats it.

so what about lighting for the loft space?

:eek:

Its a standard two storey house that's had the loft converted into two rooms

:rolleyes:

2nd floor = loft conversion, keep up guys

Its a standard two storey house thats had the loft converted into two rooms, one fitted out as habitable space the other as loftspace, from the looks of the other properties it was done over 50 years ago to several of them.

2nd Floor Landing
1 lighting pendant
3 way light switch – operated from 1st floor landing and foot of stairs

2nd Floor Bedroom
3 double sockets
1 light pendant
One way light switch

no mention of lighting or power to the non-bedroom space of the loft..
I am keeping up.. are you? ;) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back