What cables do I need

AEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plasterer has called to say he can turn up in a week's time, wasn't expecting him for another couple of months and don't want to turn him away but I still have hallway lighting cables to install. I don't rate my chances of finding an electrician in a week so will happy enough if I can just put the cables in place ready for plastering and when my electrician turns up he can fit the switches and commission. I am hoping a kind soul can tell me what cables i need to install between each of the following.

Downstairs hall - 1 pendant, 2-gang switch for hall light and 1st floor landing light, 1-gang switch for hall light
1st floor landing - 1 pendant, 3-gang switch for downstairs hall light, 1st floor landing light and 2nd floor landing light
2nd floor landing - 1 pendant, 2-gang switch for 1st and 2nd floor landing lights

A circuit is currently coming from consumer unit to downstairs pendant light. No other cables are installed but I have a roll of 1.5mm twin and earth and a roll of 3-core and earth ready to go. I have read the references thread and would say I am about 80% sure of how to do this, but don't want to make an expensive mistake so would appreciate some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
use 1.5T+E to wire the lighting circuit and to the switch. if there is a second swith, take a 3C+E (1.5mm) between the 2 switchs, so the first 1 should have a 3C+E and a T+E

do you know the permitted routes for the cables?

cables will be following old runs through ceiling voids and dropped vertically to switches. I read the buring cables doc in the references section and it wasn't clear to me whether vertical drops need to be buried 50mm or not, (the old cables were not), I will err on the side of caution unless I find out otherwise.

so 3-core between the 1 and 2-gang switches on ground floor, between 2-gang switch on ground to 3-gang sitch on 1st, and 3-core between switches on 1st and 2nd floors? (not really floors, house is on split levels).

So ground floor lighting circuit powers entire hallway over all floors. Is this acceptable/approved practice?

Should be OK, if the total number of lamps on one lighting circuit is less than 10, otherwise split into 2 groups and run 2 separtate wires to the consumer unit - thay can always share a circuit breaker or fuse later.

Sponsored Links
if the cables run directly up/down/left/right from an accessory (socket, switch etc) then they do not need to be protected (altho capping is a good idea).

if they run anywhere else, i.e diagnal from an accessory then it needs to be protected or buried at least 50mm (but by the time u get that deep, your under 50mm at the other side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back