landing/hall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some houses seem to have a switch where you can control the landing light from the hall but others do not. Im definately aiming on having a switch that controls the hall light from upstairs, but is it worth having a switch controlling the landing light? Reason being Im having a pendant, stair leds, wall light and landing light which can all work off a 4 way gang. If I want to control the external lights its another switch or a three and a two gang. If I dont hae the landing option it'll be just a four gang. Do many of you use the landing light option from the hall?

Sponsored Links
Some houses seem to have a switch where you can control the landing light from the hall but others do not. Im definately aiming on having a switch that controls the hall light from upstairs, but is it worth having a switch controlling the landing light?
it is normal to have a hall switch that controls the landing light as well as the landing switch controlling the same light. You can have what you wish however.

Reason being Im having a pendant, stair leds, wall light and landing light which can all work off a 4 way gang. If I want to control the external lights its another switch or a three and a two gang. If I dont hae the landing option it'll be just a four gang. Do many of you use the landing light option from the hall?

Given the state of this rewire/rebuild you are conducting you should really be asking the electrician you said you have employed. He/she will be able to properly advise you.

Im definately aiming on having a switch that controls the hall light from upstairs, but is it worth having a switch controlling the landing light?
Most people want the one whose worth you question, rather than the one you say you definitely want.

Reason being Im having a pendant, stair leds, wall light and landing light which can all work off a 4 way gang. If I want to control the external lights its another switch or a three and a two gang. If I dont hae the landing option it'll be just a four gang.
Use a grid. You could have a switch in the hall for every light in the house, if you wanted.

Do many of you use the landing light option from the hall?
Only those who don't want to climb the stairs and find the landing light switch in complete darkness, or don't want to go upstairs to turn on the landing light, then go downstairs to turn off the hall light, and then go upstairs again.

"Many"??

How much thought have you given this?

Only those who don't want to climb the stairs and find the landing light switch in complete darkness, or don't want to go upstairs to turn on the landing light, then go downstairs to turn off the hall light, and then go upstairs again.
To be fair, (s)he did say that (s)he definitely wanted to be able to switch the hall light from the landing.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, yes I could ask him, but its also nice to get other opinions from more than one person & I value peoples opinions on here. Im thinking a four gang and a single for the external lamp.

Im thinking a four gang and a single for the external lamp.
I'm thinking that if they're in the same place that would look naff, and that a single switch plate would be so much better.

If the guy you've got doing the design work hasn't suggested that then he's clearly no good, and you should consider dumping him.

Ive looked at the grids, but Im using art deco themed switches so wont match really. I was considering a four gang on one wall and a single one on the other, not all together. He's been pretty helpful & patient so far, hes just doing other jobs while I sort out what I need to complete the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back