stairs, hall and landing lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've done this in a previous house but can't remember how. Basically I have a 2 gang switch at the bottom of the stairs which switches the landing and the hall lights. There is also a single gang switch upstairs on the landing to operate the landing light. The landing lights switches (up and down) only operate the lights when one or other are in the on mode which is a real pain...

If I remember correctly I need to install an "intermediate" switch so that I can switch the landing light on either up or down independantly but wanted some guidance on how to sort this. Any advice welcome. Cheers

Sponsored Links
You only need an intermediate switch if you want to control the lights from 3 or more locations. If your existing switches are 2-way then you have simply wired them wrong.

All the information you need is here in the wiki.

Cheers for the info guys. I obviously remembered wrong....

I haven't touched the wiring yet but will use the details provided.

As its an old house if I run into problems I'll come back.

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
I've just had a look at the wiring and as suspected in a +100yr old house as usual things are never straight forward.....

Firstly there is no earth on this part of the circuit at all.

There is only a single red cable running from the light to the upstairs switch and then a twin (black + red) cable running as the link to the downstairs switch.

The upstairs switch is wired as follows:

Red circuit cable to L1

Black link cable to COM

Red link cable to L2

The downstairs double switch is wired as follows:

Landing Switch:

Red Link cable to L? (no numbers)

Black Link cable to L? (no numbers)

Red other cable running into COM

Hall Switch:

Red cable from COM

Red cable from L? (no numbers)

Hope this makes sense!

Both the landing and hall lights work OK the only issue is the lack of 2 way independant switching on the landing light from up or downstairs.

Can someone advise whether this is workable as it stands to run 2 way switching and if so how the wiring should be or whether it is not possible and needs rewiring.

Cheers

It sounds like the permanent live feed is at one switch, there's two strappers run between the switches, and the switched live runs from the other switch to the light.

From your description, reversing the two reds in the upstairs switch would do it.
You would then have red and black strappers to L1 and L2 at each switch (doesn't really matter which way around they go), and the live feed and switched live to the Com terminals (one in each switch) matching the first wiki diagram BAS linked to.

But make notes about what was where before you start, so you can backout if that doesn't work.

Be careful about isolating the circuit(s) before working on them. The live feed to the landing light switch may not come from the circuit you would expect, and the 2 gang switch may have two live feeds, each from a different circuit.

I've just had a look at the wiring and as suspected in a +100yr old house as usual things are never straight forward.....

Firstly there is no earth on this part of the circuit at all.

Your wiring is at least 45 years old. It sounds like somebody in the past has tinkered incorrectly with that (un-earthed - hope you weren't planning any class I equipment on there) lighting circuit. What else has been altered or added to in that time period?

I smell a rewire... or was that just burning? :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back