Rewire of house - currently vacant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago i posted a thread asking what you would include in a rewire given a blank canvas. I got lots of helpfull replies that i passed on to my sister, she has just had a first quote for the work, and i am none too impressed with the level of detail, spec or price. Could you guys cast your eyes over and say if i am being too harsh? Property is a 3 bed stone 1880 terreace in Surrey just off the A3 outside of the M25.

Quote is:

2nd floor bedroom
1 wall light
1 single switch
1 twin socket outlet

1st floor bedroom 1
1 lighting pendant
1 single switch
3 twin socket outlets

1st floor bedroom 2
1 lighting pendant
1 single switch
1 twin socket outlet
1 20-amp DP switch for immersion heater

1st floor hall
1 lighting pendant
1 single 2-way switch to operate with foot of stairs switch.

Ground floor

Lounge
1 lighting pendant
1 single switch
2 twin socket outlets

Foot of stairs
1 lighting pendant
1 twin light switch

Kitchen
1 fluorescent light fitting
1 single switch
3 twin socket outlets
1 switched spur boiler supply

Larder cupboard
1 lighting point to be controlled via a door switch
1 single socket outlet

Back door area
1 lighting pendant
1 twin switch to operate light in this area and light in bathroom

Bathroom
1 lighting point
1 electric fan heater

Wire for mains operated smoke alarms 1 on each floor.
Replace existing consumer unit.

Cost is £4140 inc VAT. Also what site can i check that the chap is ~Part P registered?

Sponsored Links
dont know about price, but I would be wanting more socket outlets than that.

2 doubles for a lounge?? Id want at leat 2 next to each other where I wanted the TV point to be for the AV stuff.

Id also be looking at connection points for fridge/freeser etc in the kitchen under the worktops, with FCU above for isolation.

IMO put more sockets in now than you need, you will always need more, try to think where you use 4 ways now, and add sockets.

get more quotes in, no mention of bonding in spec, is this already in place.

The quote seems vague and also excessive.

There are contractors out there who dont reach the VAT threshhold and that saves you 17.5%

I would reccomend you get at least 3 quotes and try and get them from small firms. Always ask for references and always check up on them.

Sponsored Links
A few months ago i posted a thread asking what you would include in a rewire given a blank canvas. I got lots of helpfull replies that i passed on to my sister, she has just had a first quote for the work,
Did she pass any of the ideas on to the people she asked to quote?

Did she say what circuits and types/numbers/positions of outlets and accessories she wanted?

Quote is:
Quote is a long list which looks like it was lifted straight out of an NHBC or Local Authority minimum spec document from the 1960s.

It says nothing about circuits, nothing about division of circuits, nothing about the CU, it is utterly bereft of any imagination, and to me it screams "I do not have a clue".

Also what site can i check that the chap is ~Part P registered?
http://www.competentperson.co.uk

Did she pass on any of the suggestions given? My gut feeling is no, though will push this. Thanks for the feedback, seems my initial thoughts were correct.

I get the feeling that other building work needed has pushed the budget for elcetrics down the pecking order. Though for the spec provided above i would guess it could be done for a tidy sum less than that given.

Just got off the phone with her, i am now writing her a spec based upon previous advice from you chaps and budget constraints. So couple questions, whats the cost difference between a dual RCD board and an RCBO equipped board? Any preferred brands or brands to avoid?

In the kitchen she will have an electric oven / gas hob setup, standard size. What spec wire should be included for? (obviously sparky will have final say on design).

And most imporatntly, any reccomendations for sparks in Surrey? Feel free to PM / email if you dont want to publically tout for work, and yes i shall want references and details of what certification scheme you are part of! Dont want to get told off!

Ensure that there is a clear WRITTEN and signed understanding about the quality of the restoration of floor boards and other items that will be disturbed during the re-wiring before the work is started.

Who will re-plaster over chasing and to what standard.

And yes plan for more power points than you think you will ever need.

Fit now, ignore later is better than ignore now, fit later

That quote doesn't even have the bare minimum on it.
All the rooms need far more sockets than that, even if the rooms are tiny.
Where are the sockets for the hall/landing, the cooker circuit and the extractor for the bathroom?

£4140 for that is a joke.
Even allowing a very generous £600 for the consumer unit and main bonding, that leaves £3500 for only 34 items - well over £100 per point.

No mention of any lighting at all for the stairway to the 2nd floor either.....

I think you need to get some more quotes! Have you got any family or friends who have used decent electricians who can suggest someone?

As 1john says, this quote sounds vague and excessive! Helped out on a few rewires on vacant properties (not a spark myself). They were alot less than your quote - although they were in Rotherham...:LOL:

Right - that quote has been binned and the chap told thanks but no thanks, just searched for him on competentperson and did not show up anyway.

Sister has allowed me to put a spec together, and yes i noticed the lack of lighting or switching on th esecond floor! Can you get three way switches so all hall lights could be switched from any floor?

if you're at the top of the second stairs and switch off the lower stairs while someone is using them, and that you cannot see then it's creating a danger..

I take it you mean intermediate and not 3 gang?

Of course you can.

Look, you seem to want to define the work and fix the cost. That's not an issue, it's sensible, but you or your sister really do need to sit down with a PC on site and write something up.

I'd start with a excel sheet, room by room, hall way by hall way, basement, outside and any area that may require service.

Against each room indicate socket numbers, light switches (and alternative switching- like bedrooms 1 main switch, 1 slave by bedhead) and any other items wanted.
Consider TV points, telephone and data cabling.
Consider TV room audio cabling.
Consider vents for bathrooms and shaving points.
Consider electrics for h/water tank, ch system + prog unit + stat. Consider rooms with multi lamp positions (such as spots / GU10's).

The kitchen tends to be the big one.

Type of oven cooking- gas or electric, half and half. Hob type. Fridge / Freezer or one unit doing both. Washing machine, tumble drier, all fixed in appliances need considering.

At the end of a few hours work you should have a precise detail of everything wanted room by room, area by area.

You then need to spec the type and manufacturer of the sockets and items.

Finally detail the work conditions. Full making good to all pathways, chases, box positions or builder following round ?
A schedule would help. So if you know the site will be 1st fix and sort builders power, then part 2nd fix and final finish / test- then detail it.

If the job is a straight run, start to finish asap then detail it.

Once you have all the above you then farm the doc and survey site to 3 x suppliers making sure you join them on site.

This all allows the contractor to quote apples for apples (the same !!) and you get to pick the one you feel best with.

A full on spec will tighten up the job, but it is extremely rare not to forget something.

So please, please make sure that anything and everything you want is considered. Our quotes are only as good as the information we get.

The best being a spec sheet, room by room and (often available on full refits) a floor plan with location details. You may well find a floor plan will help with room layouts for kitchen, bathroom and furniture.

Right - got this put together roughly for comments. Yes it does not have lots of things like outdoor sockets and garage power supplies etc but i have been told to keep it cheap as the whole house needs work.

Please feel free to add / change items where i have got it totally wrong.

Please confirm membership details of a registered self certification scheme in accordance with Part P of the building regulations.

All electrical design and testing is the responsibility of the appointed electrician.

Replace existing fuse board with 17th edition compliant dual RCD board and upgrade all bonding as required – please confirm make / model of chosen board. Fuse board should have a minimum of two spare ways once all circuits have been installed. All wiring to be replaced with new.

Circuits required:

2nd Floor Lights
1st Floor Lights
Downstairs Lights
2nd Floor Sockets
1st Floor Sockets
Ground Floor Sockets
Kitchen Sockets
Kitchen Oven Supply
Outdoor Lights (rear only)
Wire for mains operated smoke alarms, 1 on each floor (3 in total).

Switches / Outlets Required

2nd Floor Landing
1 lighting pendant
3 way light switch – operated from 1st floor landing and foot of stairs

2nd Floor Bedroom
3 double sockets
1 light pendant
One way light switch

1st Floor Bedroom 1
4 double sockets
1 light pendant
One way light switch

1st Floor Bedroom 2
4 double sockets
1 light pendant
One way light switch

1st Floor Hall
1 light pendant
3 way light switch
1 double socket

Ground Floor Hall
1 light pendant
3 way switch
1 double socket

Ground Lounge
1 ceiling light pendant
2 wall light points
Double one way light switch
6 double sockets

Ground Kitchen
2 ceiling light pendants
1 switched spur boiler supply
2 switched FCU’s for below counter appliances
1 switched FCU and flex outlet for cooker hood
6 double sockets
One way light switch

Ground Back Door Area
1 light pendant
1 twin switch to operate light in this area and light in bathroom

Ground Larder cupboard
1 lighting point to be controlled via a door switch
1 double socket outlet

Ground Bathroom

1 lighting point
Electric shave point
Electric wall heater point
Extract fan (switched FCU operated from outside).

External

2 wall light locations to rear of property with internal switch adj to back door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back