Rewire of house - currently vacant.

Sponsored Links
Problem is that sometimes higher price and quality of work don't go together either. And although I would never ever ever hire an electrician without a recommendation, the people giving the recommendation quite often are not in a position to judge whether the work is of good quality or not. Attitude of electrician yes, quality of work no.

Three quotes, as long as quote not totally out of whack take the electrician with the best attitude to work with, and make sure all questions are answered prior to contract start and answers checked with books like the OSG.

Anyway, this has all been discussed before so we should be careful we don't get told off for repeating advice already given :)

There is a very interesting study:

Link: unskilled and unaware

So accurately does it describe the range of competence in the electrical contracting industry that it should be mandatory reading for all sparks!

Chapeau - not told off, just a request not to turn this thread into another huge argument!

As mentioned before all advice is greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Chri5 - i totally agree with you, but its not my house or my money. The situation is young couple with baby, wanting to get a house rather than their flat, have bough a renovation project to get the space they need at a cost they can afford.

So its having a full new plumbing job, new joists and flooring on ground floor because of rot, new windows, new doors, new electrics etc etc You can only spread a fixed amount so far.

galliano i can sympathize that this is a young family wanting their own house and not a flat and have a budget to work with. but to be an electrician is a skill, that can take years and cost an individual a lot of money to become one, and should be paid accordingly as you or anybody else in their line of work would also expect. i think that the first quote is fair but i believe you may find a cheaper quote elsewhere. good luck. ;)

the joists need to go in before the electrics as the cables will be clipped to the joists..

Update - first of all a big thank you to everyone who offered help and advice.

Work was completed on Thursday (8 days in total from start to testing and certs). Went for an RCBO board and the last spec i put up, price came in at just under £5k all told. Firm was registered with NICEIC (might have squeezed an extra letter in there!).

They are very happy with the work and are glad they took time to work out all their socket locations, heights etc. Though thye have incurred the wrath of BAS and had downlights installed in the kitchen, i did try to warn them......lol

Cheers

Duncan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back