Concrete floor down stairs.

Bed rooms

1 double socket each room
1 light switch each room .

2 reception rooms
2 double sockets and TV socket.
2 light switches each room

Bathroom 1 pull string light .

Stairs and landing 1 single socket and 2 light switches.

Kitchen 3 double sockets 1 single socket
1 light switch.

All in basic white .

Sponsored Links
Can't believe you think it's enough sockets, but each to their own

Looks reasonable starter spec for ten; send it out to a few local sparks and see what they say. If they all ask the same questions, add that info and keep sending it out until you've got 3 estimates

Sponsored Links
Back in around 2015 I had mothers house re-wired, there were some new bits, that stayed so not a full rewire, first estimate included TV, LAN etc, that was nearly £5k, second estimate was bare bones so if required we could rent it, that was around £2.5k the point I am making is the cost can vary a lot, mainly down to access and making good, neither of my estimates included making good, but floors made with sheets are harder to work with, and it may be dropping ceiling is better option.

We tend to say either surface or buried, but in real terms likely a combination of both, I permitted wires down corners of rooms, as central heating already took that route, I stipulated all ring final wiring, so I could add spurs latter, not that they followed either stipulation, when I came to move a wardrobe found horizontal surface wiring behind it.

I did catch them before whole house put on just 2 RCD's so kitchen (with sub main) stayed on RCBO's and they knew I was an electrician but simply did not have the time to re-wire myself, at £600 a week for mothers care home while being re-wired, any delay soon ramps up cost.

Empty homes are easier to rewire than a home with some one in it, no option with mother, can't have some one with Alzheimer's in the house while being re-wired, same goes for children, so include cost of hotel if required. I selected as they promised to complete in a week, and last day there were 6 guys working there. Which is likely why one or two errors following my requests.

Simple things like back to back sockets can reduce costs, but then they may not line up with furniture, dado and skirting trunking may reduce labour costs but then there is the cost of the trunking.

So you question is like asking what will a car cost, you may say two door, four seats and able to do 70 MPH, but there is still a lot of variables, so you will visit show rooms and select, same with re-wire you need to engage with the firm doing the work, and adjust your wants to suit what you want to pay. In mothers house most wiring was rubber insulated so all had to come out, but often bits can be left, reducing the price.

Seems bit excessive £12000 I'm just going for basic nothing fancy.

Bed rooms

1 double socket each room
The rest of that is totally inadequate for any kind of house.
Properties built 40 years ago had more outlets that that.

For an absolutely basic 3 bed house with gas heating, typical quantities:

Sockets
Bedrooms 3 doubles
Hall / landing 1 double each
Living room 6 doubles
Dining room 4 doubles
Kitchen 6 doubles (or equivalent if including fixed appliances), separate 32A supply for cooker / hob&oven.

Lighting
1 wall switch and 1 ceiling pendant per room. Landing / hall 2 way switched for upstairs light.
Bathroom LED flush bulkhead with wall switch, extractor fan with isolator
Kitchen LED bulkhead(s), wall switch
Exterior light by front door, switch inside.
Loft/attic 1 light and switch

Others
Linked mains powered smoke alarms on each level.
3A FCU for gas boiler supply, or 3A FCU for boiler & controls, separate 16A circuit for immersion heater depending on what heating system is used.

There can be much more, as that doesn't include any kind of TV, audio, Internet, doorbells, video cameras, security devices, powered showers, outdoor sockets, outbuildings, lighting for back garden, or anything else that a majority of people expect and want.

for quite a number of years i did some local authority grant rewires, their spec to make s house inhabitable was twin sockets 1 each bedroom, living room and stairway or landing and two in the kitchen, lights and cooker, immersion heater circuits. they had set prices they1d allow based no number of bedrooms. the reckoned the grant price would cover 90 to 100 per cent of that spec but nothing more. they did hope that folks would agree to pay for extra sockets etc but around here they rarely did.

The cost rather depends on where you are in the U.K. but your outline spec doesn’t have enough sockets.

Also is the contractor VAT registered? Not all sparks are so that’s 20 % cheaper on his day rate begin with

Also earthing, bonding, new RCBO fuseboard.

Oven circuit, smoke alarms, loft socket and lights. Outside lights, door bell, outside socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back