? rewiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to buy a 1960s 4 bed detached house. (225 sqm)
Home buyer report says electric needs urgent attaention. It states " Mains electricity is installed. meter and consumer unit in garage. installation is largely obsolete with some original rubber sheathed cabling and consumer unit containing rewirable fuses. please instruct a qualified (preferably Niceic ) electrician to test the circuit, report its condition and provide quotation for upgrading required.

my query-

1- Do i need to completely rewire. if yes approx cost ?

OR

2- can i just change consumer unit and get only earthing elsewhere?/

I understand rewiring is safest and best but trying to save as already stretched with Finances. However if the consensus is for rewiring then i will do it....

Thanking in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Drm, you may have opened a hornets nest here! Some very contentious points raised....

Actually no, they are not contentious!

A Chartered Surveyor carried out the report. I have two brother-in-laws that are of the same profession and they would never make such sweeping statements as those you highlight.

What is his/her definition of obsolete?? Rubber sheathed cables are not the best and should be replaced IMHO. This may not necessitate an entire re-wire (as stated) The rewireable consumer unit does not make it unsafe; in fact they often eliminate nuisance tripping. RCD's and cct segregation aside.

The statement saying please instruct a qualified (NICEIC) sparks to test the install is great!

The course of action for you take is to get a full Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) carried out - this can be by anyone! NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, Joe Bloggs, Josephine Bloggs! This will hopefully give you a clearer indication as to what requires upgrading/changing. A PIR may cost £150-300 - hard to say without location and due to size of house.

I would opt for a known reputable company (possibly hard I know) and ask a few questions beforehand to satisfy yourself (again possibly hard)..

Rewire cost? anywhere between £3000-6000. Very hard to say without seeing the property and it's far to late to work out 225 sq.m!!

Consumer unit may be fine. Though if a 4 bed detached property an upgrade may well be desirous.

Once the PIR has been completed then you will have a much clearer picture, and not some half-cocked statements by a surveyor who should entertain themselves with wall ties and such like!

You are aware that it is considered perfectly reasonable to ask for a contribution towards costs for works from the vendor if they (the works) are not obviously apparent at time of making an offer??

Remember that as you payed for the HBR they are rarely objective..

2- can i just change consumer unit and get only earthing elsewhere?/

I understand rewiring is safest and best but trying to save as already stretched with Finances. However if the consensus is for rewiring then i will do it....

Hate to say it, but if you can't afford a rewire then it may be better not to buy the property at all. You'd be crazy to decorate over old wiring, which will later have to be replaced at the expense of your new decor.

Price range quoted above sounds pretty reasonable, assuming the house is empty when the work is to be carried out.

i am planning to buy a new 4 bedroom detached house built in 1960(approx 225sqm).

Today I have received home buyer report. It states that - 'the central heating needs urgent attention. there is floor mounted Ideal Standard gas fired conventional boiler with radiators. complete replacement of boiler and heating system is recommended due inefficiency of boiler itself and large bore pipes and concertina type radiators'.

My query-
1- approx cost of replacing all?
2- Is it possible to only replace the boiler to a closed vented condensing one? But will then the pipes and radiator be able to withstand the pressure?

on internet there are conflicting information....read about Magnaclean, fermox cleanser........ so now I am more confused

Thanking in anticipation :?:
4 bed detach house has got wall paper.

Can I paint on the wallpaper or best option is to remove wall paper and paint. Trying to save some money

Thanking in anticipation

I have a horrible feeling, and I suspect you might too, that you've not put enough thought into renovation costs when budgeting for this purchase.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies

in response to the most recent post, I was aware the house needs decoration. However, home buyer report picked up on gas and heating and wiring. In all honestly I had no clue of all this till I got the report

will be careful in future ( if at all I have to buy again)

If the wiring is from the 1960s, it should be rewired regardless of condition, as there won't be anything like enough sockets in any of the rooms.
One single socket for each bedroom and perhaps two in the lounge was the standard then.

It is also likely that the sockets are in the skirting boards, lighting pendants in the bedrooms are located close to the windows and the kitchen has a ugly giant sized cooker control as the only power source.

Even if other sockets have been added later, this will at best be a hack job, and who knows what bodges have been done under the floors?

Thanks for the replies

in response to the most recent post, I was aware the house needs decoration. However, home buyer report picked up on gas and heating and wiring. In all honestly I had no clue of all this till I got the report

will be careful in future ( if at all I have to buy again)

Invest in having a new installation and it should last you for as long as you own the house, take careful consideration over the spec and make sure you dont scrimp on sockets ect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back