Consumer Unit upgrade without rewire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I have a rental property where there is a Memera 2000 Consumer Unit installed. The house was built in 1990 so the setup can't be ancient, but the wiring for lights is black and red, for example. I don't want to go to the expense of a rewire but I'd like to employ someone to upgrade the Consumer Unit as, I found out, part of the - plastic - flip-down cover now appears to be broken. Is it perfectly acceptable to want that or would I end up being 'strongly recommended' to go the whole hog?

There's nothing awry with the electrics. Everything is working fine.

Sponsored Links
Board changes happen all the time, often on older installations than yours.

Red and black is right for 1990 so no worries

Get three quotes and pick the middle one

There should be no reason to rewire a house built in 1990 - assuming it's been done properly.

It would be worth checking the wiring though, in case there are any faults.

It should also be checked that services like gas and water are correctly bonded.

But broadly speaking a rewire should not be necessary.

Thanks. I wanted the confidence to say so just in case someone tried to tell me the colours needed upgrading!

Sponsored Links
No, not necessary. Will need a sticker if there's blue and brown and red and black, but no need to rewire. Unless of course there are issues. But, a Memera 2000 may well have an RCD in it anyway? Not all of them did, but you may have at least one. They were Brilliant boards. Shame nobody really fits Eaton now (Eaton took over MEM)

Could you buy another board that's the same and replace the cover yourself?

Could you buy another board that's the same and replace the cover yourself?
You could, if you can find one. There's only a couple of the right vintage on eBay, and I don't know how many ways the OP is, so might not even be the right ones.

No, not necessary. Will need a sticker if there's blue and brown and red and black,

Regulations aside - but stating the bleedin obvious seems like the application or use of a brain and common sense no longer applies.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
No, not necessary. Will need a sticker if there's blue and brown and red and black, but no need to rewire. Unless of course there are issues. But, a Memera 2000 may well have an RCD in it anyway? Not all of them did, but you may have at least one. They were Brilliant boards. Shame nobody really fits Eaton now (Eaton took over MEM)
They still are, and I did (see avatar)

They still are, and I did (see avatar)
Yea I put one in for my parents a few years ago. All RCBO. Love it. Jealous of it to be fair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back