Consumer Unit change for elecsa assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I intend on changing the consumer unit for my elecsa assessment and want to check the following.

Currently there is a 60amp cut-out, 16mm meter tails and 10mm earth bonding, current consumer unit is 8 way rewireable wylex unit. Will i require to upgrade the meter tails to 25mm and earth to 16mm even thou the cut out is 60amp and will not change to 100amp as there is no additional demand. will leaving the existing meter tails in be acceptable for elecsa assessment. a friend of my always replaces meter tails on all consumer unit changes to 25mm but dont see why its needed if load hasnt changed.

thanks in advance to all feedback

Sponsored Links
why not simply ask your assesor what he thinks and explain to him the reason why you are asking?

If you do that, then right or wrong, at least your assesor can see that you are capable of thinking ;)

My last assesment, i hit the guy with a barrage of questions, some of which he couldn't answer. I also managed to squeeze in a 10 minute rant about what a farce the whole part p/competent person scheme is. I think he was glad to get away.

I'm good for another 12 months ;) :D

Can't see the point, and anyway you couldn't replace the ones between the cutout and meter without pulling the fuse and tampering with the seals on the meter that they really take a dim view of.

Sure you're ready for an assessment?

What type of supply is it?
What size earthing conductor?
What size protective equipotential bonding conductors - are they all present i.e. water and gas etc?

Sponsored Links
Can't see the point, and anyway you couldn't replace the ones between the cutout and meter without pulling the fuse and tampering with the seals on the meter that they really take a dim view of.

Sure you're ready for an assessment?
I think there maybe a health and safety issue overiding the very gray area of seal removal,firstly I have been onto jobs where the meter cable (tails) are only fit for a museum,so to replace these crumbling relics with 25mm2,it is of major importance you follow the H&S route and get rid of the bloody things ,also it is impossible to renew both sets of tails without removing them,in my book working live in the situation is far more of a serious issue than informing your DNO & saying that you are going to cut the seals whether you are given permission or not,I certainly dont want one of my customers to hear screams only to find me onthe floor(AT BEST) with 3rd degree burns to hands ,face and arms,plus vapourised copper everywhere,if you think I am going down the wrong track ask your Health & Safety Exec,now he would take a very dim view of working live[/quote]

Don't forget that H&S legislation, and in particular the prohibitions on live working contained in the EAWR, does not conflict with, or allow contraventions of, other legislation such as the ESQCR.

Any need to remove seals and fuses in order to comply with H&S legislation does not override your obligation to comply with the Electricity Act, and it does not prevent you from also complying with the Electricity Act. It is not true that the only alternative to working live is unauthorised tampering with the DNOs equipment.

And BTW - tampering with the DNOs equipment unless authorised is not a grey area - it's clearly unlawful.

Change the tails you can't go wrong really. You could mention for brownie points to the assesor that the existing tails were sufficent as it is just a 60amp supply but in case of further expansion you fitted the new ones.

As far as the seals go we all know that every sparks known to man have cut seals and done the work. But ban is quite right the law is the law and your not suppose to.

You could call the DNO and the chances are after they got up off the floor, they would charge you to send someone out to disconnect the fuse. This may be a cost you will have to bear to get the scheme up and running. After that well you will of course call every time!!!

When I did my a couple of years back I did call the DNO and they did send someone out and it cost I think then it was 45pounds plus vat. Oh the joys of becoming registered. One advantage of calling them is you might get the clients fuse upgraded for nothing. Also if you fit an isolator in between that is good for the client for future use. If it's an old installation they may upgrade their tails and check their earthing if they provide it so many pluses and minus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back