changing consumer unit tails!

4 May 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
i am about to change a consumer unit and will therefore need to upgrade the tails to 25mm and the main earthing conductor to 16mm...only problem is that i will have to cut the seals on the meter if i am going to do this...ok,now that i have cut the seals 'and now i will be sent to jail!!!!!' on the meter and replaced the tails!!!,am i now going to have to cut the main fuse to replace the tails from the fuse to the meter as these are still 16mm?if i dont there would have been no reason to change the tails from the meter to consumer unit!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Apart from the others who will mention Part P etc ----

You do not worry about the tails from the fuse to the meter these are the responsibility of your supplier NOT you.

I personally would not worry if the tails are less than 1 meter as 16mm will carry the load you require the cut out fuse is probably only a 80a any way.
so does that mean the tails from the meter to the consumer unit are my responsabilty?..i am an electrical contractor and will be having my work inspected shortly to be registered as part just doesnt make sense to change the tails from the meter when im leaving the tails from the fuse in 16mm!!!!!!!!! thanks for the reply anyway..
Generally I leave 25mm out of my boards for the supply authority to connect to the meter. Going back a few years it was 16mm. I would not panic about 16V25 on short meter board runs. Thats just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
On a commercial job recently I had to fit 2 off parallel 4 core 240mm SWA with seperate earth the supply authority only brought in 2X 185mm cables they rate their own cables and do not work to the regulations on current capicity from what I can see.
i do the same on new installations which the council pass off for part p..think il get in touch with the supplier........see if you can answer this 1? is it acceptable to wire a lighting system using 1.5mm and 1.0mm in the same circuit because on the day you ran out of 1.5mm?!!!! the mcb will be 6amp!
Suppose it will be ok what are you going to put on paperwork for the conductor size?
i was going to put 1.00mm to be safe..incase some1 changed the mcb to a 10amp!! its a part rewire anyway..what do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links