Meter tails size

Sponsored Links
I had a supply moved recently. The DNO did the move and fitted a new cutout with a 100A fuse.

When the MOP arrived to reinstall the meter and connect our tails, he replaced the fuse with a 60A one, and said the DNO are not supposed to fit 100A fuses.

I have no idea why, or who's right. :confused:

I have no idea why, or who's right

We had the same with MOPs going round de-rating cut-out fuses (in one case to 40A, of course this was a customer with off-peak heating, guess what happened in the early hours of the next day).
Our Policy and Standards got involved and the MOP and supplier were told in no mean terms that the cut-out is the DNOs and the DNO will decide what size fuses will be used. If the MOP and the supplier continued to down rate fuses all permissions for them to work on our equipment would be revoked!

So, it is up to the DNO and no one else!

I had a supply moved recently. The DNO did the move and fitted a new cutout with a 100A fuse. When the MOP arrived to reinstall the meter and connect our tails, he replaced the fuse with a 60A one, and said the DNO are not supposed to fit 100A fuses. I have no idea why, or who's right. :confused:
What a cheek! I find it hard to believe that the MOP is 'right' but, even if (s)he were, I seriously doubt that they are 'allowed' to interfere with the DNO's work and equipment in that way. What did (s)he do with the DNO's fuse - just 'steal' it, or return it to its owner?! Where's westie?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
He's above you! The MOP just chucked the 100A fuse in his tool box.
Ah - he wasn't 'above me' when I started typing my reply, but I got interrupted by a phone call, and he sneeked in! So ... theft as well as interfering with DNO equipment!

Kind Regards, John

A lot of the issues arise by operators applying BS7671 solutions to what is essentially part of the supply network and comes under the Electricity Act & ESQCR.

Another issue we used to have was with the rating plate on older dial meters, some said 40, some 60 & others 80 A. This did not relate to the maximum current the meter could handle but was related to the accuracy tests.
However the uninitiated often tried to down-rate the cut-out fuse to these levels!

As an aside, have a look at your meter and who they belong to, I bet it's the DNO, mine does.

What fuse do you use on this then? :LOL:

meter-3.jpg

That's a beaut!

We'd be happy with 100A, see above. But usually these would be found on older services with 60A cut-outs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back