I have a Memera 2000 consumer unit but need to upgrade one RCB from 16a to 32a for new shower, how do I remove RCB from unit.

I don't think I have seen a shower which has not stipulated RCD protection, normally 30 mA so seems likely the instructions say 30 mA RCD not 30 amp MCB, as already said likely needs a 40 amp MCB. The Memera 2000 consumer unit is now rather old, and to find the parts required is going to be a problem. As said a consumer unit is a type tested distribution unit and the type testing means only items tested can be used, so has to be made by Eaton that they say fit that CU.

This means in real terms you need a new CU, which is not a DIY job.

Sponsored Links
I don't think I have seen a shower which has not stipulated RCD protection, normally 30 mA so seems likely the instructions say 30 mA RCD not 30 amp MCB, as already said likely needs a 40 amp MCB. The Memera 2000 consumer unit is now rather old, and to find the parts required is going to be a problem. As said a consumer unit is a type tested distribution unit and the type testing means only items tested can be used, so has to be made by Eaton that they say fit that CU.

I would do it with a Memshield 2 RCBO, which is compatible.

But the OP speaks of an RCB and shows no sign of competence so is best advised to stand well back and look for someone who knows how.

I do not say this out of spite, but in friendly helpfulness.

I don't think I have seen a shower which has not stipulated RCD protection, normally 30 mA ...
Same here, and that's been true from a long time (starting long before RCD protection in general was widely required). That seemingly stems from what one might describe as a knee-jerk reaction based on "water, electricity and naked bodies don't mix", perhaos without much consideration of what sort of fault scenarios were being contemplated.
so seems likely the instructions say 30 mA RCD not 30 amp MCB,
Indeed - as I said to flameport, that speculation is very possibly correct.
as already said likely needs a 40 amp MCB.
... three is no "likely" about it. A 9.5 kW shower definitely needs at least a 40A OPD (and suitable cable) - a 32Aone woukld not be satisfactory.
... and the same of course, is essentially true of "connecting an electric shower" (since few people would be mad enough to pay £££ in notification fees for just undertaking that 'connecting'), given that, by self-fulfilling definition, any electrical shower is inevitable "in a room containing a bath or shower" and, also essentially inevitably, within Zone 1 of that room - hence notifiable work.

Kind Regards, John

But the OP speaks of an RCB and shows no sign of competence so is best advised to stand well back and look for someone who knows how. I do not say this out of spite, but in friendly helpfulness.
Quite. Several of us have said that and I'm pretty sure that all (with one possible exception) have done so in the spirit of "friendly helpfulness".

The other issue that, as I've just mentioned, if the OP does not want to 'break the law', then it would probably not make financial sense for him to do the work himself.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Some shower manufacturers correctly state that the circuit must have RCD 'protection'; the shower does not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back