surveyor's report, update of electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We are selling our house and the buyers surveyor has flagged up that our electrics need updating,
we have the electrician coming in a few weeks time to replace the consumer unit and to test the sockets etc, if ok he will hopefully certify so. The house is about 35 years old and i think it has the original electrics in place
My question is, will the surveyor be expecting us to rewire the house or will a certified report with new consumer unit be sufficient ?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Surveyors report on what they see. They won't expect you to do anything.

Why are you are paying to replace a consumer unit in a house you are selling?

Because they are trying to reduce the sale of the house by £3,000 so we decided to pay for the work to be done beforehand as we can get it carried out for far less than that, thanks for reply !

I would not replace the consumer unit.

Let the (potential) buyers decide on the basis of [b[their surveyor's report whether to up-grade the electrics.

If you start to upgrade you may end up with a lot of work being found genuinely necessary before the electrician can sign off the upgrade and that will delay the sale and the work in progress will put potential buyers off even if they like the house otherwise.

I have just bought a cottage knowing it needed a full rewire and a new supply in from the street. I simply reduced my offer by the estimated cost + 15 % contingency. to cover the work that I will do to suit my requirements as to socket and lamp locations. Had the previous owner commissioned the rewire and produced a certificate of compliance I would have had doubts about buying the cottage as some certificates are not worth the paper they are written on.

EDIT have just read your comment about reducing by £3000. If you can be assured get the work done and the certificate issued for less than £3000 AND you are 100% certain the buyer will NOT back out from the purchase AND you can tolerate the disruption while preparing to move then MAYBE you will benefit from doing the upgrade.

Personally I would take the drop in price if it means the sale is definate and you need to sell quickly. Maybe try and reduce it if you can. But even if you do upgrade the buyer's surveyor may still say more electrical work has to be done and that might mean the sale falls through.

Sponsored Links
I suppose that even if the buyer backed out, the next potential buyers report will flag it up again.
The buyer is really pleased that we are willing to carry out the work before she moves in, she is a single parent so is relieved that she doesn't have to sort it out herself.

So in our case, now that the surveyor has flagged up the electrics, are we expected to rewire the whole house regardless of the electricians opinion or should we just carry out what the electrician says needs doing ?
Hope i am making sense, Thanks for the replies

He SHOULD carry out an inspection report before changing the consumer unit.
The inspection report will highlight what MUST be done (because it is dangerous) what SHOULD be done (because it needs attention but is not life threatening) and what COULD be done (because its just out of date).

Now, you do not want a rewire. This will mean the house being ripped apart, new cables will have to be chased into all the walls, the kitchen and bathroom will need to come out and the replaced. You'll then need all the cable chases replastered.
As mentioned above, the new sockets etc will probably not be where your buyer will want them.

If you are determined to go ahead (and I cannot think why) then have the inspection done and come back and advise what has been revealed.

You are much better just giving a cash allowance for change of consumer unit and let the buyer get on with it.

PS In my experience, surveyors know little about wiring.

Did he qualify his "needs updating" verdict?????????
Did he lift the floorboards and find lead sheathed cables, or rubber cables that were perished? I thought not.

I bet he just looked at the fuseboard and saw a brown Wylex box with rewireable fuses. There is nothing wrong with that, it is still a valid and safe fuseboard unless new additions are made to the installation.

The wiring regulations have moved on since your house was wired, but wiring regulations are NOT RETROSPECTIVE. Otherwise every house in the country would need upgrading every 5 years or so.

Tell them your selling price has already taken this into account.
That's very good advice, although it may not work so well under present market and economic conditions.

I've sold just three houses in my time. All have been old and hence with many inevitable 'issues'. On all occasions, I've made it very clear to those making an offer that I've been only two aware of many of the issues and also that, because of the age of the property, the fact that there are inevitably other issues of which I'm unaware - BUT that all of that has been taken into account in deciding whether or not to accept an offer - and that I was therefore not going to entertain any requests for reductions of the offer on the basis of things 'discovered' by their surveyor. That approach has generally worked - but, as I said, I'm not sure it would work too well under current market and economic circumstances.

Kind Regards, John.

Understood.

Here's what I suggest.

You could have your spark carry out a Periodic Inspection on the installation. As I said, he should do this before changing the CU in any case.

If he condemns the wiring then you are in for a big expense and upheaval (as I have outlined).

The problem is that once you get a damning report, you cannot hide it from the buyer. A full reqwire WILL be several thousand pounds for the wiriing and there will be the remedial work too. Thats more £,000 plus time.

The surveyor has opened this can of worms. I suggest you challenge his statement and ask him to explain what he means by it. Post his reply on here and you'll get some helpful and experienced responses.

Thanks for all the responses, we have decided to get in touch with the surveyor to find out what it is exactly that they expect from us, if that is a full re-wire then we won't be going near it with a barge pole and either accept the reduced offer or tell them were to go ! if its just the new consumer unit and certificates then we will sort it.

The house went on market at £129,950, after estate agents valued £134,950 because we wanted a quick sale, we have agreed a sale of £125,000 so to go down by another £3,000 is taking the mickey, As said previously the house is valued as seen, warts and all !!

Thanks again for all your replies, it has really helped clarify things, im very grateful !

Just ask him what he means by
electrics need updating,

Let us know how you get on.

It's a generic response to seeing something that isn't bangy tidy, right up to date.

If you system is 35+ years old, then it won't be upto date. It may well be 14th ed standard and 15th / 16th / 17th ed standard has come along.

It's not a new property so the buyers weren't blind to the fact that some things will have aged. You don't buy a classic 35 year old car and expect a 'new build' NBHC cert and warranty.

If pushed get a PIR done, sort any urgent code 1's and that's the end of it.

Don't get the new board work done unless you really do feel it will be a deal clincher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back