Earth Bonding and Surveyor Rant

Sponsored Links
I saw this last week and was curious why an electrician would see this happening and not raise a concern at the time.
Treading that fine line between pointing out issues (of which there were many) and not peeing off the vendor to the point he tells my mum to go away and not buy it then. It was already fait accompli by the time I saw it anyway - and I didn't assess the issues as significant risks in the grand scheme of things.
As it is, I got a call from mum one day to say I shouldn't go near the place as the guy was almost in tears and telling her how much hassle I'd caused him. Coincidentally it was the same day she'd decided to pull out herself - I never did find out what the outcome was, I have a feeling the insurance company had told him to build the stairs properly :rolleyes: Brand new stairs and even after bodging with lumps of 3x2 underneath they were flexing "a lot" underfoot :eek:

Sponsored Links
Oh yes, until stickers appeared later - no info on the contractor or which scheme they were working under.

I believe the theme of the thread at this point (although it may not have been expressly stated) was isolation.

And reply was:

Can't beat pulling out the plug for isolation. 2nd best is MCB in CU.

Can't beat pulling out the plug for isolation.
Agreed. However, 'pulling the plug' may be challenging if the plug is behind an appliance which is either on fire or has developed a live case!
2nd best is MCB in CU.
... unless it's a TT installation, in which case it would have to be an RCD or Main Switch- operation of either of which would result in some 'inconvenience'.

Kind Regards, John

The clicky ignitor on my gas cooker went wrong and was continually clicking. It was simple to turn the switch near the cooker off and it stopped.

If I hadn’t had a switch I’d have had to either try and pull the cooker out on my own or turn the MCB off and then the fridge freezer would have defrosted.

Not required, but useful when you need them. If you don’t like the look of them just pop a bread bin or similar kitchen item in front of them.

The clicky ignitor on my gas cooker went wrong and was continually clicking. It was simple to turn the switch near the cooker off and it stopped.

If I hadn’t had a switch I’d have had to either try and pull the cooker out on my own or turn the MCB off and then the fridge freezer would have defrosted.

Not required, but useful when you need them. If you don’t like the look of them just pop a bread bin or similar kitchen item in front of them.
A simple example saves hours of discussion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back