gas installation and kitchen refit earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
just had new boiler fitted and all kitchen plumbing updated but the gas engineer/plumber didnt rreplace the earth bonding , first question is should he have done this? second is whats required as i understand it. it is 10mm2 earth cable wich must be connected to the gas pipe on service side within 600mm of entry to the house and the routed to the consumer unit and also the water main has to bonded which is right next to the gas pipe ,can you bond bond this to the gas pipe or does this also have to be routed to the consumer unit as a seperate run
thanks
dino

Sponsored Links
Was there no wire there to bond originally ?
Do gas fitters have to bond if none present?
Although frowned upon as it would be not a continuous cable you could bond from the water to the gas as an interim measure....

Hello.
This connection is made on the consumers side of the pipework.
It can be one cable, if continuous.

Ed

As far as i understand it gas fitters don't have to do it but do have to tell you it needs done.

Sponsored Links
thanks dont know if there was earth bonding as he made new copper pipe runs from water main and gas
so to be clear do i bond the water main to the gas pipe then run it back to consumer unit as one continuos cable or do i do individual runs from each service back to consumer unit, i would like to do it correctly as its all clear at the moment awaiting the kitchen to be fitted
thanks again

Hi Dino.
I believe both methods are acceptable but I personally would cable them individually.
Regards
Ed

Well anybody working on electrical installations should leave it safe and that includes bonding, so your plumbing/heating bod should have sorted it.

Leaving that aside for a mo.

Main bonding should be done either (prefereably) in seperate cables
or in unbroken looped cable - the reason for the unbroken loop is to ensure that if a service is disconnected (but not cut) a downstream service will still be connected.

Well anybody working on electrical installations should leave it safe and that includes bonding, so your plumbing/heating bod should have sorted it.
true, but since when has installing a few pipes been classed as electrical work?
does it become electrical work if he wires it to an existing FCU?
how about if he puts a plug on the end and plugs it into a socket?

or in unbroken looped cable - the reason for the unbroken loop is to ensure that if a service is disconnected (but not cut) a downstream service will still be connected.

I was told this at college back in the day, but where specifically in the regs does it mention unbroken wire?

I don't think the regs do mention an unbroken wire, I'm pretty sure somewhere they mention that carrying out (maintenance?) work on one part system should not effect other parts of the system and the concept of the unbroken cable is a take on this.
They also teach the unbroken main PEB on the C&G2391 course - one of the faults on the test boards is this with 2 crimps into one clamp.

I was told this at college back in the day, but where specifically in the regs does it mention unbroken wire?

It doesn't.

As for 'do gas fitters have to play by the rules?' yes they do.

The regulations are the 'Requirements for Electrical Installations' not for Electrical Installers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back