Adding main earth bonding question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

do you have to be a qualified electrician/registered to sign off work consisting of the following:

running a 10mm2 earth bonding cable from a tag next to the gas meter to the main earth terminal near the consumer unit?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
ok ok then, my landlord safety (gas) was done last week and there was no bonding at the gas meter, so i was thinking of doing it myself if that was ok? or the engineer said he'd do it for £35

hi

do you have to be a qualified electrician/registered to sign off work consisting of the following:

running a 10mm2 earth bonding cable from a tag next to the gas meter to the main earth terminal near the consumer unit?

Thanks for your help
As Flameport said, No.
Just make sure you connect within 600mm of the service meter on the consumer side and before any branch pipework.
The connection must be made to hard pipe, not soft or flexible meter connections using a suitable clamp to BS 951.

Sponsored Links
You can do it yourself, however if this is a rented property, the landlord should pay for this to be done.
This isn't a new requirement - has been mandatory for decades.

yes i told him the cost £35 and he hasn't got back to me, so i will call him again or could run one myself as have some spare earth cable, just need a tag.

the engineer (gas) doesn't need to be an electrician does he?

all these reg's seem to change so often etc.

just wanted to check here first.

my water pipe is earth bonded.

This is the responsibility of the landlord - full stop - get him to do it.

I assume that the gas safety certificate was not issued then ;)

yes certificate issued, no bonding at gasd meter is classed as NCS and advisable to respsosible person (landlord) to get done. so the landlord needs to get the engineer back to get it done as he paid for the certificate?

yes certificate issued, no bonding at gasd meter is classed as NCS and advisable to respsosible person (landlord) to get done. so the landlord needs to get the engineer back to get it done as he paid for the certificate?
Just out of interest have you seen the previous years gas safety certificate and did it include no bonding to the gas pipe - I wonder.

Amazing how advisable and mandatory (don't) mean the same thing.

yes seems like there's not been bonding here before. I'll phone the landlord again and ask him to allow the engineer to come and do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back