Multiple terminals in main equipotential bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently added main equipotential bonding at home by connecting the gas and water pipes to the TN-S earth. Following recent posts and re-reading the wiki I think I've made a mistake:

The TN-S earth, mains water pipe and consumer unit are bonded together on a block by the service fuse. See photo:

A 10mm earth wire then runs up a pipe with the tails to the earth bar in the consumer unit. I've connected the gas pipe to the earth bar in the consumer unit, instead of running it back to the earth block by the service fuse (which I guess is my MET). This photo shows the meters next to the consumer unit:

So my question is: Is it acceptable to have the gas pipe connected to the consumer unit, which is then connected to the MET?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes

BTW if you tell your gas supplier that you have a shortish length of lead piping upstream of the meter, they might replace if for you (it melts in fires)

Isn't there something about proximity of a gas pipes/meter to electricity?

Also, you appear to be missing the handle off the gas stop valve.
It may be worth your while posting this in plumbing and central heating (or ask the mods nicely to move the topic over), our friendly plumbers may be able to help more.

Isn't there something about proximity of a gas pipes/meter to electricity?

BS6891-2005
8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows: a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units; b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

We had this introduced when I worked for a council. The most common solution was placing an insualted barrier i.e. plastic containment around the necessary coductive parts.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answer John, and thanks for all the other comments. I didn't know those regulations existed when I asked the DNO to move the meter. I guess it would be bad to enclose both meters in the same cupboard then. I'll add a new post in the plumbing section and see what they think.

The handle for the gas valve is on the other side of the pipe, so you can't see it in the picture.
I'll phone up the gas supplier and ask about replacement of the lead pipe. The pipe on the right goes up into the ceiling where it joins to a copper pipe, so there are only a couple of feet of lead on my side of the meter too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back