fitting new bathroom what bonding is required!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
just about to fit a new bathroom suite , there doesnt seem to be any bonding in there at present , but the gas pipe and water main are both bonded down stairs back to the consumer unit,
do i need to earth bond in the bathroom and if so what is required does it go into consumer unit or earth block and then to consumer unit the consumer unit is directly under the bathroom in the store room
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This topic has been absolutely done to death.

Please search, there is loads of stuff on this topic.

None at all, if all circuits in the bathroom are RCD protected.

I'll say no more so as to not take up time you could be using to search for more info! :)

Sponsored Links
sorry for not engaging my brain and do the search , before my engaging my typing finger but thanks for the help

Don't forget that ALL of the conditions for omitting supp bonding MUST apply if you intend to omit it otherwise it must be in place.

As I've said many times I don't omit it because of the possible failure rate of RCDs and if that reduces the chance of just one shock/electricution then I see it as worthwhile.

Don't forget that ALL of the conditions for omitting supp bonding MUST apply if you intend to omit it otherwise it must be in place.

As I've said many times I don't omit it because of the possible failure rate of RCDs and if that reduces the chance of just one shock/electricution then I see it as worthwhile.

Good point.

Do you bond as a matter of course, or after doing the relevant resistance tests and finding it to be necessary?

As a matter of course.

I feel that if we were correct that it used to be relevant under the 16th then the mere additions of an RCD or RCDs under the 17th does not always mitigate this risk sufficiently enough.

Additionally, if as some think, RCDing the part of a lighting cct that enters the bathroom should be RCDd but not the rest of that circuit (as opposed to RCDing the whole cct or alternatively running a seperate RCDd lighting cct from the consumer unit just for the bathroom, the a fault outside the bathroom (lounge lighting perhaps) would raise the potential on the cpc which is in the bathroom regardless of whether the bathorom part of the cct has a functioining RCD. This fault could be present for 0.4 or 5.0 seconds too.

But I mean regardless of the 17th / RCD stuff, do you always supplementary bond without doing the tests to see if it's necessary? (this has not changed from the 16th)

been doing a lot of reading i have an rcd at the consumer unit , but as the guy above said no harm in bonding anyway so i am right in thinking you have to earth the light in bathroom and the pipes back to the consumer unit in 6mm earth cable as most of what i have read one says one thing and it all gets side tracked and ends up being as clear as mud . just like to be clear that what i do is right and safe thanks

The point I was making was.

If (Under the 16th) a bathroom required supp bonding then I personally do not feel happy not supp bonding purely because each circuit of the location has an RCD under the 17th.

The decision to supp bond or not would be exactly the same under the 16th & 17th in all other respects.

The supp bonding of kitchen sink pipework was dropped quite some time ago because it is possible to create dangers that might not otherwise exist .

In a bathroom, if the pipework is "plastic" or predominently so then similar decisions have to be made although all the ccts cpcs would still be bonded together underf the 16th. If the pipework was metal (conductive) or predominently so then this would need to be supp bonded to such ccct cpcs too.

In essence, I would ignore the fact that the RCDs on circuits are present even though they were actually present

I can see no harm in supplementary bonding in a bathroom, as long as it is done properly. Do you know why you are doing it Dino ??

the reason for doing it would be better to be safe than sorry if adds an extra layer of safety then why not as you say needs to be done properly thats why i came on here to make sure i get it right so would like a clear picture of what needs to be done to get the best result

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back