Earth bonding required in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Doing a little work in the bathroom and I noticed there's no earth bonding. I understand in certain situations it's not required, but not sure if that's the case here or not?

Acrylic bath, metal talt/shower, copper pipe (plastic push fit joints) etc.

Main switch in consumer unit..

15552496553164219087621809742294.jpg

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your main switch looks like the test button is stuck in.

It's not, I tested it after reading your post and it work, tripped the switch ok, thanks though.

While I'm here, I recently started another topic about adding a third socket in a radial circuit. Cut a long story short.. turns out the MCB for that radial was 40a with 2.5mm² cable, so dangerous. Have replaced MCB with a 20a one as suggest by taylortwocities.

I've now noticed there may be issues with other sockets. I suggested replacing all with 20a mcbs but told no as they are likely to be on a ring main, but I'm not sure they are. Should there be any sockets on a ring main with only one cable connected, or would this mean it's not a ring main but a radial?

Picture of MCB and one of the sockets it's connected to, could this still be a ring main and there 32a MCB is ok?....

15552509110688127160675435183101.jpg

20190414_145149.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. Just had a look, there's at least two sockets like this. Got an electrician coming in soon to do a few bits, I'll get him to have a look an confirm what it is and make it safe it need be.

It's not, I tested it after reading your post and it work, tripped the switch ok, thanks though.
Ok.

While I'm here, I recently started another topic about adding a third socket in a radial circuit. Cut a long story short.. turns out the MCB for that radial was 40a with 2.5mm² cable, so dangerous. Have replaced MCB with a 20a one as suggest by taylortwocities.
Ok now.

I've now noticed there may be issues with other sockets. I suggested replacing all with 20a mcbs but told no as they are likely to be on a ring main, but I'm not sure they are. Should there be any sockets on a ring main with only one cable connected, or would this mean it's not a ring main but a radial?
It could be a spur. If so a nearby socket or (hidden) junction box could have three cables.
Or it could be the last one on a radial.

It could be a spur. If so a nearby socket or (hidden) junction box could have three cables.
Or it could be the last one on a radial.

Checked, yes both the sockets with one cable are nearby a socket that has three, so a ring with a couple of spurs it would seem. Will be leaving the 32a mcbs in place, as previously advised. Thanks.

You shouldn't be randomly changing circuit breakers. This is all work for a competent Electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back