Earth Bonding in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have earth bonding in bathroom (copper pipes) on both hot and cold under the bath and have a separate shower cubical but where the shower water supply pipe "T"s off from the main cold pipe there is another bonding strap after the "T" with an earth that is a little in the way, can it be taken off as its the same copper pipe that leads to under the bath that has a bond

Sponsored Links
If you have a MAIN BOND of 10mmsq in your meter cupboard connected to the water pipe within 600mm of the water pipe coming in to your property the extra bonding is pointless, especially if you have plastic or other non-conductive materials.

What it sounds like you have is supplementary bonding, it is still needed unless all the circuits in the bathroom are on RCD and the pipework is effectively bonded or isolated from earth, this can only really be done by measurement.
Can you upload a diagram or pic of what goes to where?

I have earth bonding in bathroom (copper pipes) on both hot and cold under the bath and have a separate shower cubical but where the shower water supply pipe "T"s off from the main cold pipe there is another bonding strap after the "T" with an earth that is a little in the way, can it be taken off as its the same copper pipe that leads to under the bath that has a bond
It depends where it goes - i.e. what is the other end connected to?

If you can't tell, it should remain - although you could move it along the pipe to get it out of the way.

Sponsored Links
If you have a MAIN BOND of 10mmsq in your meter cupboard connected to the water pipe within 600mm of the water pipe coming in to your property the extra bonding is pointless, especially if you have plastic or other non-conductive materials.
Several inaccuracies:

It is not pointless.

The MET may not be in the meter cupboard.
It may not be 10mm².
We have no idea if there are any plastic pipes between.

Also, the 600mm. only applies to internal meters; not to the point of entry although covered by 'where practicable'.

10mm in meter cupboard at front of house entrance and that then gos to bathroom at the back of house - bathroom is above kitchen also at the back of the house rising main enters the house in kitchen and then gos up to bathroom above.
from the cupboard it gos to bath hot and loops to cold and the one on the cold bath pipe then loops to the same cold pipe not 4 feet away, and rejoins just after where it "T"s to feed the shower looks like its just not needed as that same pipe already has one on it under the bath

No plastic pipe interruptions and from the bath it gos down below to the kitchen

10mm in meter cupboard at front of house entrance and that then gos to bathroom at the back of house - bathroom is above kitchen also at the back of the house rising main enters the house in kitchen and then gos up to bathroom above.
The other end of the cable connected to the Main Earthing Terminal in the cupboard should go to the point of entry in the kitchen (although it sounds as if it is adequate)

from the cupboard it gos to bath hot and loops to cold
This is not technically correct but as long as there is copper pipe to the point of entry it would be alright.

and the one on the cold bath pipe then loops to the same cold pipe not 4 feet away, and rejoins just after where it "T"s to feed the shower looks like its just not needed as that same pipe already has one on it under the bath
Then you can remove it.
As you have observed, it is unnecessary.

from the board it does go to the point of pipe entry in the kitchen but it gets there via the bathroom and then gos down to kitchen from there, the cable has to pass the bathroom on the way to the kitchen and so it had a little stop there rather than go straight past the bathroom down to kitchen and then back up to bathroom.
Why is it 600mm from entry if you only need 1 then why cant it be anywhere i

Presumably because they think that the further it is from the point of entry, the more likely it is that, one dark night, some mysterious man or woman might sneek in and, unbeknown to the occupier, slip a bit of plastic pipe (or a plastic joint) in the run between the point of entry and point of bonding - thereby leaving the 'bit that matters' (that which enters the premises from outside) unbonded :)

Kind Regards, John

IT ISN'T
Also, the 600mm. only applies to internal meters; not to the point of entry although covered by 'where practicable'.
All strictly true, but I suspect that (since the figure appears elsewhere in the paragraph) many/most people interpret "as near as practicable to the point of entry" as meaning "<600mm if practicable". Indeed, in many situations, it could probably argued (maybe by a Jobsworth) that "as near as practicable to the point of entry" was actually a fair bit less than 600mm from the point of entry!

Kind Regards, John

And yes the elect meter is on the inside of the house by the front door

Just realized what you meant by"internal meters" I thought that you were referring to pipes measured inside the house :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back