fitting new bathroom what bonding is required!

The point I was making was.

If (Under the 16th) a bathroom required supp bonding then I personally do not feel happy not supp bonding purely because each circuit of the location has an RCD under the 17th.

The decision to supp bond or not would be exactly the same under the 16th & 17th in all other respects.

The supp bonding of kitchen sink pipework was dropped quite some time ago because it is possible to create dangers that might not otherwise exist .

In a bathroom, if the pipework is "plastic" or predominently so then similar decisions have to be made although all the ccts cpcs would still be bonded together underf the 16th. If the pipework was metal (conductive) or predominently so then this would need to be supp bonded to such ccct cpcs too.

In essence, I would ignore the fact that the RCDs on circuits are present even though they were actually present

So do you test to see if it's necessary or just whip out the G/Y?

Sponsored Links
Well first of all the cpcs of the circuits in the bathroom require(d) supp bonding ie lights, shower, wall heater, shaver socket etc etc and the decision about pipework is are they liable to introduce a potential (usually earth potential) so if they are not plastic (nor if metal locally but insulated from say earthy pipework) then they must be bonded too.
Usually you can see that but if not sure you can check continuity/ins res against the MET.

There are tables which tell you the sizes of bonds that are loosely based on the smallest of the two cpcs being joined. But the catch all at the end gives 4mm min if not mechanically protected so it almost always works out at 4mm then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back