Unconnected bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just had a new bathroom, where we removed old metal piping. The new piping is mainly plastic with some copper terminations.

When removing the bonding, I disconnected the earth bonding from the basin and inlet pipes and pulled it up into the loft, where the metal to plastic connection is.

I now notice that the bonding terminates in the bathroom light fitting, and the section that I pulled into the loft, goes nowhere. I assume that it should be directly connected to the consumer unit, is this correct.

There are metal water tanks in the loft, also other wiring. If i find another earth bonding, should i connect the bathroom one to it?

Camerart

Sponsored Links
I assume that it should be directly connected to the consumer unit, is this correct.
No. It does not go back to the consumer unit.
It is equipotential bonding, not earthing!! Please read the WIKI on these much misunderstood terms.

Plastic pipes do not need bonding.

In any case, are the circuits in the bathroom RCD protected? If so bonding is not necessary, assuming you have bonds to incoming services.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back