Bathroom bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from a previous post... I am putting a new bathroom in and copying the previous connections.

So there are two 15mm copper pipes feeding hot and cold which come from my combi boiler where everything is cross bonded. Where these pipes enter the bathroom they transition to plastic pipe somewhere under the floor (under the head of the bath). At this point there is a short run of plastic pipe may be 300mm which in turn connects to a braided metal flexi and onto the mixer tap (same for hot and cold). The bath is stainless steel.

Where the pipes connect with the flexis they also tee off in plastic to the shower mixer control, and also to the basin (braided metal flexi tap tails are used for the final connection to the basin mixer tap), with the cold carrying on to the toilet, again all plastic.

The central heating pipes have been rerouted, so they also pass under the bath, however as they enter the room under the stud wall they to transition from copper to plastic and run the full width of the bathroom before changing back to copper again where they connect to the old pipe work again as they exit under another stud wall. Somewhere in the middle of the run they tee off (in plastic) to a heated towel rail which also has an electric heater element.

In essence every bit of plumbing in the bathroom is done in plastic. But the pipes run from the boiler to the bathroom are still copper and the majority of the central heating system is still copper, only the parts in the bathroom have been changed to plastic.

There is no bonding anywhere in the bathroom, none of the copper pipes are bonded. The only bonding I can see is the towel rail which is bonded to the mains supply earth where the flex joins to the T&E cable so not really bonding just correct connection!

Is this ok to leave like this? I am concerned that there is such a short run of plastic pipe between the old copper pipes and the bath tap, also that the only bonding on the towel rail is from where the heater element screws in to it.

Anyway sorry this is a bit lengthy and thanks for you advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
So there are two 15mm copper pipes feeding hot and cold which come from my combi boiler where everything is cross bonded.
Probably not necessary.

In essence every bit of plumbing in the bathroom is done in plastic. But the pipes run from the boiler to the bathroom are still copper and the majority of the central heating system is still copper,
Can you touch these copper pipes when in the bathroom?

There is no bonding anywhere in the bathroom, none of the copper pipes are bonded.
If these copper pipes do not connect to copper pipes outside the bathroom then they do not require bonding.

The only bonding I can see is the towel rail which is bonded to the mains supply earth where the flex joins to the T&E cable so not really bonding just correct connection!
This is earthing. No need to bond the radiator.

Is this ok to leave like this?
Yes, more than ok, it would be pointless to bond them together and more hazardous if bonded to parts outside the bathroom.

I am concerned that there is such a short run of plastic pipe between the old copper pipes and the bath tap,
Ensure that the copper pipes from outside the bathroom do not/cannot touch the bath or it's metal legs.
Try an make an electrical circuit using plastic pipe - water filled or not.

also that the only bonding on the towel rail is from where the heater element screws in to it.
Not bonding, earthing in case of a wiring fault.

You did not answer the question in your previous post regarding whether the circuits in the bathroom were protected by RCDs.

Sorry - yes there is an RCD on the Consumer Unit master, and each circuit has an MCB.

No you can't touch any of the existing copper pipes without lifting the floor and pulling the side of the bath off. Although you can touch braided flexi pipes to sink and toilet, but these are on the end of a couple of meters of plastic pipe.

I was mainly worried about the short length of plastic pipe between incoming copper and bath flexis. Obviously the plastic would isolate the copper pipe from the tap so even if it became live the tap would not, however being the paranoid man I am I start worry about the conductivity through the water within the pipe...

Sponsored Links
Sorry - yes there is an RCD on the Consumer Unit master, and each circuit has an MCB.
In that case, if the main bonding, where the water and gas enter the building is in place and mcb disconnection times are met NO supplementary bonding is required.

No you can't touch any of the existing copper pipes without lifting the floor and pulling the side of the bath off. Although you can touch braided flexi pipes to sink and toilet, but these are on the end of a couple of meters of plastic pipe.
That's alright, then.

I was mainly worried about the short length of plastic pipe between incoming copper and bath flexis. Obviously the plastic would isolate the copper pipe from the tap so even if it became live the tap would not,
Correct.

however being the paranoid man I am I start worry about the conductivity through the water within the pipe...
No need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back