Earth Bonding and Surveyor Rant

I'm not sure what the requirements for bonding were back in the day, 15th edition was as i recall when it all started getting mad (people bonding metal window frames ffs).
10mm².
On my own house I used 16mm² as that's what I had. The inspector tried to fail it (prior to resealing head and meter) as the tick box was to verify 10mm².

Also I'd used singles in tube (as most of the house was tubed) and he didn't know how to tick 'earthwires sleeves'.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why do builders fit these ugly things which are not required?
I agree they are ugly but if I'm honest I think they are useful and certainly more attractive than a long row of FCU's or dotted around the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
I always fit grid switches. They are very useful.

A two way switch on the stairs is not a requirement, but that’s also very useful.

when a tumble drier, or a cooker, is aflame, it may be an advantage to be able to turn off the power without getting close to it.

when a tumble drier, or a cooker, is aflame, it may be an advantage to be able to turn off the power without getting close to it.
As I've often observed, whilst that that is one of the arguments for a 'local emergency switch (not that 'turning off the power' will usually make much difference if the appliance is already 'aflame'!), people often have a habit of positioning those switches such that one would have to reach over the flames (and/or maybe an appliance with a live casing) to get at the switch.

So, if one wants an emergency switch for that reason, I would advise 'fairly close, but not too close' to the appliance it controls!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. The CU in the cupboard under the stairs is as close as I would want to get.

What use are they? All appliances have switches on them.
This has suddenly made me realise I need to make some alteratons as since we refitted the kitchen we have replaced WM, DW & tumble, none of them have mains switches and all are plugged into inaccesible sockets.

Ha, that's no guarantee :whistle:
The house my mother was thinking of buying had several significant departures from regs - cables not in safe zones, cables (main meter tails) buried less than 50mm and not RCD protected. In a way it's a pity she pulled out from buying it as I was looking forward to getting NIC onsite and asking why there was a fraudulent installation certificate for the electrics :evil:
I saw this last week and was curious why an electrician would see this happening and not raise a concern at the time.

This has suddenly made me realise I need to make some alteratons as since we refitted the kitchen we have replaced WM, DW & tumble, none of them have mains switches and all are plugged into inaccesible sockets.
I confess I was expecting some sort of retort from Winston Now that his silly comments have been shown to be foundless.

I confess I was expecting some sort of retort from Winston Now that his silly comments have been shown to be foundless.

What silly comments? There is no requirement for local isolation AS YOU KNOW. Local isolation is not used in Europe and they seem to have no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back