Getting electrics certificated for moving house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, quick question. We have refurbed our house and are now selling it. Hubby basically rewired the whole house (although he is not an electrician) he is very competent and was supervised by his brother in law who is a commercial electrician. However our solicitor has now asked for "requisite certificates" for the work - presumably we just need to get the electrics certified and send him the certificate??

Sorry if this is a dumb question!!

Sponsored Links
oh dear,

you should ask the solicitor EXACTLY which bits of paper are required.

If they ask for an EIC, you have a problem!

Electric Installation Certificate.

These can only be issued by electricians who are registered with a scheme and only if they did the work themselves

Sponsored Links
ok, so an electrician who did not do the work cannot come and do an inspection and say 'yes that has been installed correctly and safely and all is as it should be'? In which case I do have a problem!

Exactly, this is why you need to speak to the solicitors to find out what they require.

You won't easily get an EIC. They may accept a PIR, which is a different thing.

You need to ask them.

Beware any electrician that offers you an EIC at this stage. They didnt do the work, they didnt install it, they didnt test it so they cannot legally give you an EIC.

I get plenty of people in your situation ringing me to get me to test and sign off their work; or their electrician who has always just died, gone on holiday, disappeared etc etc.

Best I can do is a PIR which is a report on what I find - a visual inspection backed up with plenty of tests of circuits. What it doesnt do is certify that the installation has been correctly designed or installed as I cannot see, for example, which cables go diagonally across the wall because your sparks was running a bit short of cable and was getting very lazy.

Allow a good days work for a properly done and written up PIR of an average sized house.

I had a PIR done on my house when we moved in at the mortgage companies request, it took a full day (house was at that point unoccupied) and we had certificates of minor works provided by the seller 4 yrs previous.

we then had a new CU and update to the bonding done at the advice of the electrician (there was no bonding, and an old wylex rewireable CU)

I had a PIR done on my house when we moved in at the mortgage companies request, it took a full day (house was at that point unoccupied) and we had certificates of minor works provided by the seller 4 yrs previous.

we then had a new CU and update to the bonding done at the advice of the electrician (there was no bonding, and an old wylex rewireable CU)

And then got an EIC from the guy that did the work ?

or their electrician who has always just died,
Couple of years back, we did have an electrician die half way through the work to replace a consumer unit. The guys who came in to quote to finish the job, and who obviously didn't believe me, were told not to bother to send the quote in.

just out of curiosity, how long ago was the wiring done?

Reason being that if the work was done pre (early 2005) there was not system in place at the time regarding Part P.

Although not exact, new cable colours tend to mean the work should have been inside the scope of Part P and so a EIC would have been required.

A periodic inspection report (PIR) will have to be commissioned, but that report may not be accepted by the purchasers or there solicitor as acceptable.

Reason ? Well it sounds as if you have marketed you house as having been fully refurbished and as such that would have meant you had a legal requirement to work inside the rules of part P. Since you haven't got an EIC your work can't be accepted as having been done inside the regulations.

Choices ? Offer a discount on the selling price or get a PIR and agree to pay for any remedial works (if the PIR highlights any issues).

Hubby basically rewired the whole house (although he is not an electrician) he is very competent and was supervised by his brother in law who is a commercial electrician.

Although I'm sure the work is safe, I would have an 'issue' since domestic electricals are a set mind set of training, regulations and design requirements and plenty of commercial guys simply don't have domestic experience.

Such things as 25mm LN tails, 10mm MET, fuse board RCD requirements may not have been considered. If they haven't, which the PIR will report on then it might be best to consider a full CU (fuse board) update to 17th edition July 2008 standard. This will require full site testing and would produce an EIC, cost would vary from £350-£1000 subject to size of CU, number of circuits, amount of work required to correct any defects on initial installation caused by lack of domestic knowledge.

If it was done since Part P came in then the solicitor probably wants a building regs completion certificate, as rewires / new CUs etc are notifiable under Part P.

Assuming you did the work since Part P came in, but didn't notify it, then what you'll probably have to do is notify it to the LABC retrospectively - they'll normally charge a larger fee for this, and they may require you to change things they're not happy with. They'll in theory arrange for a PIR (although some LABCs will make you sort it out and pay for it yourself), to inspect whats there, and if that's suitable they'll issue a completion certificate, which you can then give to the solicitor...

indeed, missed that bit!!

indeed, missed that bit!!

On the EIC you received, there is a box that says 'Description and extent of the installation' What does your EIC say in this box?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back