Gaining certification of rewiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our house rewired in 2005. The electrician that we used said that he was 'Part P' competent, and this is all that we would need to ensure that our installation was compliant.

He did not issue a certificate, and I have since phoned the NICEIC, and they have no record of him being registered with them. I cannot now get hold of the electrician himself.

I was advised that I could request building control at the local council to come out and inspect the installation, and that they would certify it for a fee. When I called them, they said that this was not possible, and as far as they were aware, I did not need any certification anyway.

Could anyone let me know what I need to do to get full compliance?

Sponsored Links
I am just a householder but I think you only need the cirtificate for your own peace of mind unless you are letting the place.
If you are unsure of the quality of work, you can get a properly qualified electrician to test it for you and give you a cirtificate. Of course he may find things that need putting right to bring it up to spec.
I would think most houses in the uk don't meet the current regs - dosn't mean they are unsafe.

You could get an electrician to undertake a periodic inspection report of the installation. This will not give you a certificate (electrical install cert) for the installation as most electricians would not sign off any 3rd party works due to the fact they are then responsible for any problems that may arise. But a periodic inspection will pick up any problems there may be with the installation, then it's upto you if you act upon the recomendations given by the testing sparky.
Expect to pay from £150 upwards for this and ensure the testing sparky has C&G2391 test inspect quals.

Firstly remember that the NICEIC are not the only body for those wishing to self cert their work, maybe check to see if your installer was registered with one of the other schemes: Napit, Elecsa, BRE(eca) and BSI (kitemark)

If not and you take the PIR option, when you have got that, go to BC and ask to make a regulisation application, it'll be a tad more expensive than a building notice application (but one of those has to be made at least 48 hours in advance of work commencing)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I have no issue with the quality of the work. It was done coming on for two years ago, and everything seems to have been done correctly. I am just concerned that it may cause me a problem when I come to sell the property in the future.

Adam - what does PIR stand for? Building Control at my local council are not interested in doing anything, so perhaps if I can give them the official title, it may make a difference!

Kingston12 said:
Thanks for the advice.
Adam - what does PIR stand for? Building Control at my local council are not interested in doing anything, so perhaps if I can give them the official title, it may make a difference!

Periodic Inspection Report

If building control ain't interested then I'd be inclined to leave it, when you come to sell the place, the lack of building regs notification may be flaged up, and you can get a special insurance to cover historic building regs issues which isn't too expensive and pays out if things turn out bad for the new owners (I suspect if we allowed minor building regs issues to be a big obsticle in selling houses, the housing market would probably collaspe :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back