Certificate of Compliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had some recent work carried out and received the installation certificates, but also received a certificate of compliance from the NICEIC.

My problem is about 4 years ago i had some other work carried out by a different NICEIC contractor and received the installation and test certificates but never received a certificate of compliance (did not know at the time about them). Is it too late to get a certificate of compliance, as their website says 3 years limit on complaints?

Sponsored Links
My problem is about 4 years ago i had some other work carried out by a different NICEIC contractor and received the installation and test certificates but never received a certificate of compliance (did not know at the time about them). Is it too late to get a certificate of compliance, as their website says 3 years limit on complaints?

If the work was not notifiable then you would not receive a compliance certificate. What was the work?

Sponsored Links
Provided you are honest with the prospective buyers about what was done and when then even without certificates you can still sell your house. If it is the house the buyer wants to buy then they will buy it and sort out any problems later. They may ask for a reduction in the price but as someone has already said you get estimates for the work that may be needed and then you can add that to the asking price. If the buyer says they will have to do the work then you can agree to reduce the price, if they ask for a reduction that is much larger than the quotes you got then say a similar re-wire only cost so much ( don't let them know you got quotes for the work to be done on your house as that will tell you them you have doubts )

Some of those certificates are not worth the paper they are printed on and many buyers and estate agents know that. An aquaintance recently bought a house with the certificates issued about 3 years ago. The wiring is very poor and in some respects does not comply with the regs current when it was installed and in two places was dangerous.

If there is work that should have been notified to the building control office but wasn't then even that is not a block to the sale of the house as retrospective consent can often be arranged.

PS If for example the quote to re-wire was £ 3,000 then allow for a reduction of around £ 5,000 , the extra £ 2,000 being "compensation" for the inconvenience during the re-wire.

Bathroom extractor fan
kitchen extractor fan

If the bathroom fan was not a replacement, that is if a new circuit was installed then that would have been notifiable. However, if in general your electrical installation is in good order, I really do not think there will be an issue. You have certificates and a compliance document for the latest work. Let sleeping dogs sleep ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back