Compliance certificate should there be a hard copy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has had an email which she got on her phone saying the compliance certificate can be down loaded, so she now has a PDF of the certificate, but our printers are not working, so we have no hard copy to put in the draw with all the other paperwork about the house, so on our death how will our children access a pass word protected phone to get the link or PDF to pass on to buyers of our house? Should there not be a hard copy?

Also there seems to be no number or link to tie it to any installation certificate which as yet we don't have, and the compliance certificate was issued before the work was done. I have a Completion Date: 07/09/2023, but the work is still not complete, a FCU needs changing for a RCD FCU. But the work done in three stages, solar panels when on line on the 7th, they returned on the 12th and the 14th to complete the work, so date on the completion certificate is wrong, I would say to fit 2 new double sockets in a kitchen with the supply going outside from another kitchen where a FCU was fitted in Wales is work in a special locations three of them so would need its own installation certificate test results and completion certificate.

Or am I missing something? And should I get hard copies?

Sponsored Links
My wife has had an email which she got on her phone saying the compliance certificate can be down loaded, so she now has a PDF of the certificate, but our printers are not working, so we have no hard copy to put in the draw with all the other paperwork about the house, so on our death how will our children access a pass word protected phone to get the link or PDF to pass on to buyers of our house? Should there not be a hard copy?
Maybe get another printer before you die or send PDF to children or someone with a printer. :)

Also there seems to be no number or link to tie it to any installation certificate which as yet we don't have, and the compliance certificate was issued before the work was done.
If I remember correctly from before I retired, I don't think there is any reference on the Compliance Certificate.
They are very vague with simple things like "New circuit installed", "Outside power".

I have a Completion Date: 07/09/2023, but the work is still not complete, a FCU needs changing for a RCD FCU. But the work done in three stages, solar panels when on line on the 7th, they returned on the 12th and the 14th to complete the work, so date on the completion certificate is wrong,
Do you still mean Compliance Certificate? If so, I don't think there are any relevant dates on them.
Anyway, if you mean Completion Certificate from the LA, are they not similarly vague?

I would say to fit 2 new double sockets in a kitchen with the supply going outside from another kitchen where a FCU was fitted in Wales is work in a special locations three of them so would need its own installation certificate test results and completion certificate.
Why could they not all be on one Compliance Certificate?

Or am I missing something? And should I get hard copies?
The modern way. You can make the hard copy. It saves resources - envelope, time, post office hours.

Thanks for link, yes all Compliance Certificate not completion my error, I will wait for the G99 and installation certificate as the Compliance Certificate may be included with it. But "Install one or more new circuits - House Dwelling" could mean anything. Why do they bother with Part P?

Sponsored Links
NAPIT offer the choice of printed certificate or email / download

I would suggest you get a friend or neighbour to print it off for you

NAPIT offer the choice of printed certificate or email / downloadable

I would suggest you get a friend or neighbour to print it off for you

Should there not be a hard copy?
The days of printed papers for everything is over.
No requirement for such things.

In terms of moving/selling or whatever, the point is that it has been notified to BC and there will be a record of it when searches and such are done as part of the sales process.

Why do they bother with Part P?
It's a money extracting exercise, nothing more.

Why do they bother with Part P?

1695414002668.png

Seems sensible to me.

That's all there is - as said many times in the eighteen years since introduction.

Anything else you're thinking of is not Part P.

A piece of paper is not going to make the difference between a sale or not unless the buyer is a complete d*ck. It may be reflected in the price but unless you are planning to pop your clogs soon I wouldn't worry about it.

A piece of paper is not going to make the difference between a sale or not unless the buyer is a complete d*ck.
I agree. If one is totally honest and simply admits that "I did it myself, but didn't notify it although I should have done" that, in itself, would not be a reason for a sensible buyer to back out of buying a property which they otherwise wanted to buy.
It may be reflected in the price but unless you are planning to pop your clogs soon I wouldn't worry about it.
Buyers will, of course, try to use any excuse in an attempt to get a price reduction. In this situation, I think the most they could reasonably expect would be a reduction in price to reflect what an EICR (commissioned by them) cost, plus the cost of any remedial work indicated as being required by the EICR.

Kind Regards, John

I bought a bungalow in 2018 with no EICR, no window guarantee, an outdated loft wood treatment and the whole place needed gutting, new boiler, new radiators, new kitchen, bathroom etc. It needed updating into the 21st century. Didn't put me off as I knew it all needed doing. My electrician is now classed as a friend and all the relevant pieces of paper are available to any new buyer. But I aint updating them unless any new work needs doing.

I bought a bungalow in 2018 with no EICR, no window guarantee, an outdated loft wood treatment and the whole place needed gutting, new boiler, new radiators, new kitchen, bathroom etc. It needed updating into the 21st century. Didn't put me off as I knew it all needed doing. My electrician is now classed as a friend and all the relevant pieces of paper are available to any new buyer. But I aint updating them unless any new work needs doing.
All very sensible.

Whenever we (essentially a family member, who does it all the time) sells a house, it is always made very clear from the start that the house is being sold 'as it', that we are well aware of the work (if any) which needs doing on it and that our asking price reflects that - so there is no way that we will entertain any attempts to get price reductions on the basis of what work needs to be done.

We also make it very clear that if a prospective buyer wants to see a 'current' EICR, it is for them to commission and pay for it (just as they would for, say, a structural survey).

Kind Regards, John

Anybody who buys a home these days which is over 10 years old without getting a decent EICR is foolish imho

Anybody who buys a home these days which is over 10 years old without getting a decent EICR is foolish imho
It's up to them and, in my experience, only a small proportion of people actually do that. Indeed, only a relatively small proportion have a 'full structural survey' undertaken, which is perhaps more surprising. As has been said, ;traditionally' very few buyers had any inspection of the electrical installation undertaken.

What (in my opinion) IS foolish is to allow the state of a property's electrical installation (determined by an EICR or 'visually obvious) to deter one from buying a property which one would otherwise be keen to buy. As has also been said, even if a full re-wire is necessary, the cost of that is pretty trivial in relation to the cost of a house.

It's up to them and, in my experience, only a small proportion of people actually do that. Indeed, only a relatively small proportion have a 'full structural survey' undertaken, which is perhaps more surprising. As has been said, ;traditionally' very few buyers had any inspection of the electrical installation undertaken.

What (in my opinion) IS foolish is to allow the state of a property's electrical installation (determined by an EICR or 'visually obvious) to deter one from buying a property which one would otherwise be keen to buy. As has also been said, even if a full re-wire is necessary, the cost of that is pretty trivial in relation to the cost of a house.
I agree but many people buy with mortgages and solicitors can be quiite insistent about getting the right paperwork. One problem is that Council’s don't allow access to detailed building control records, completion certificates often contain little useful information about what work was done.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back