nor should I tell the solicitor about them unless specifically asked.

You will be specifically asked.
I suggest that you are up-front about it, so that both parties understand the position from the outset. You don't want to be trying to negotiate this sort of thing at the last minute where "crisis management" is the only option.
The only things that I would ignore are like-for-like replacements, i.e. changing switches and light fittings.

Sponsored Links
This is all that is now notifiable in England:

upload_2017-3-14_16-27-12.png

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3119/regulation/6/made

The only things that I would ignore are like-for-like replacements, i.e. changing switches and light fittings.
I always point out that "like for like" appears nowhere in the regulations.

"Replacements" were never notifiable, therefore not even restricted to like for like.

If the buyer asks for a condition report as a result I can then try and get them to pay for it but failing that pay for it myself. Alternatively / additionally they may ask for a price reduction. Are there any other demands by the buyer / mortgage company that might be made at this stage as a result e.g. me being asked to take out indemnity insurance as a result?

Thanks

Just point out that conventionally it is up to the buyer to get any surveys that he wants done at his own expense. As a buyer I wouldn't trust a sellers survey anyway. Never heard of a seller having to take out indemnity insurance.

Sponsored Links
Never heard of a seller having to take out indemnity insurance.
Whilst it is the buyer who is "covered" by it, it is quite common for the seller to be asked to pay for it in order to stop the buyer walking away.

I say "covered" because these policies are not worth the paper they are written on wrt electrical work. They only cover losses and expenses arising out of LABC enforcement action, not any losses arising because of problems with the work.

So anybody asked to pay for one should consider how likely it is for the council's Building Control department to initiate enforcement action against the owner of a property because the previous owner installed a few sockets himself and does not have any certificate(s) for them.
Hint: There is no known number which is small enough to quantify the probability of that.

The only people who advise that they be taken out are scumbag solicitors doing it purely to earn a bit of commission.

I thought they only asked about whether notifiable work had been done, but happy to be corrected if you know that they ask whether any work has been done.
I suspect they may ask if any electrical work has been done (since 2005); either, not knowing there is a difference or, if they do, trying to induce the vendor for the benefit of their buyer.

I guess they may.

To which the reply should be (if true) "None in respect of which Regulation 12 of the Building Regulations imposes a requirement".

You will be specifically asked.
I suggest that you are up-front about it, so that both parties understand the position from the outset. You don't want to be trying to negotiate this sort of thing at the last minute where "crisis management" is the only option.

I always point out that "like for like" appears nowhere in the regulations.

"Replacements" were never notifiable, therefore not even restricted to like for like.

I thought they only asked about whether notifiable work had been done, but happy to be corrected if you know that they ask whether any work has been done.

I suspect they may ask if any electrical work has been done (since 2005); either, not knowing there is a difference or, if they do, trying to induce the vendor for the benefit of their buyer.

I guess they may.

To which the reply should be (if true) "None in respect of which Regulation 12 of the Building Regulations imposes a requirement".

That would stump them (small town lawyers only, perhaps) and lead to another delay.

So it sounds like there may be a chance that some solicitors may use the word 'Any' when asking if I've carried out electrical work. If this were to happen it sounds like I either have the choice to deny carrying out any electrical work myself (which I think is being suggested by some people) or to be honest and state yes, but, "None in respect of which Regulation 12 of the Building Regulations imposes a requirement".

If I take the first option it sounds like it will be hard to prove otherwise. I may be breaking the law but if I don't get caught could save myself certain amounts of hassle and extra cost. If I take the second option, I am adhering to the law but may leave myself open to demands by the buyer which may incur additional costs on my part but, would hopefully not be so sever that I would have to get any of the minor non notifiable work redone and certified by a qualified electrician? Does this stand even if I don't get the light circuit and Earth Fault Loop Impedance tested by a qualified electrician and therefor have failed to get a "certificate for all work within reason"?

Thanks

Last edited:
So it sounds like there may be a chance that some solicitors may use the word 'Any' when asking if I've carried out electrical work. If this were to happen it sounds like I either have the choice to deny carrying out any electrical work myself (which I think is being suggested by some people) or to be honest and state yes, but, "None in respect of which Regulation 12 of the Building Regulations imposes a requirement".
Just say "Normal DIY routine maintenance, minor work, can't remember the specifics".

If I take the second option, I am adhering to the law but may leave myself open to demands by the buyer which may incur additional costs on my part
Buyers may demand anything.

Sellers have the right to tell them to FOAD.

but, would hopefully not be so sever that I would have to get any of the minor non notifiable work redone and certified by a qualified electrician? Does this stand even if I don't get the light circuit and Earth Fault Loop Impedance tested by a qualified electrician and therefor have failed to get a "certificate for all work within reason"?
You really, really, REALLY are worrying about nothing.

There are a number of standard forms used, Law Society form TA6 asks "Has the property been rewired or had any electrical installation work carried out since 1 January 2005?" with tick boxes for Yes, No, Not known.
It then asks :
If Yes, please supply one of the following:
(a) a copy of the signed BS7671 Electrical Safety Certificate
(b) the installer’s Building Regulations Compliance Certificate
(c) the Building Control Completion Certificate

with tick boxes for Enclosed or To follow for each of those.
Basically it's not been revised since it was first written on the basis that all work should be accompanied by a certificate, and doesn't really cater for "yes I have this bunch of work that doesn't need certificates - you have a problem with that ?"

There are a number of standard forms used, Law Society form TA6 asks "Has the property been rewired or had any electrical installation work carried out since 1 January 2005?" with tick boxes for Yes, No, Not known.
That's a POP to answer:

screenshot_1191.jpg

At which point any vendor would do well to consider whether any potential buyer who starts to get agitated about trivial electrical work is actually the sort of buyer who should be kicked into touch at the earliest opportunity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back