Minor Works Certificate issued - p2 blank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My electrician has issued a MINOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION MULTIPLE WORKS CERTIFICATE.

P1 is completed as expected, the Serial No. of his test instrument filled in, but on P2, SCHEDULE OF CIRCUIT DETAILS AND TEST RESULTS is blank.

The property is an HMO, 2x existing radials from the CU go out to 2 of the rooms, the works involved installing 2x new Electricity Top Up Meters next to the CU, across these radials, a polarity test performed with a socket tester. A straight forward job.

The Radials were tested and certified last year on installation - (and then BC Completion Certs provided), with the SCHEDULE OF CIRCUIT DETAILS AND TEST RESULTS completed fully then with all tests done, does that certificate cover the cable circuits as they are now, and so the Minor Works certificates P2 does not need to be completed for these circuits, ie tests not required ?

Is this Non Notifiable work, and does not require a Certificate ?
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/minor-work-certificate.479035/page-2#post-3862551

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do I really need to answer the question? You know he needs to inspect and test.

To my mind the MWC and EIC is to protect the electrician, if I issue a certificate and it says loop impedance 1.02 Ω and I am called to task because some thing went wrong, and loop impedance is 1.35 Ω it is clear some one has worked on the circuit.

Yes it does not prove anything, but as the electrician I know some one has done something to circuit.

Hi Thanks, yes thats what I thought, I expected him to do the necessary tests, I will look to get this sorted.

Am I right that a MWC is appropriate for this type of work, and although minor, all work should be tested and recorded, and that is what such a form is for, I note lots of threads on the subject of DIYers and MWC's.

Do I really need to answer the question? You know he needs to inspect and test.

To my mind the MWC and EIC is to protect the electrician, if I issue a certificate and it says loop impedance 1.02 Ω and I am called to task because some thing went wrong, and loop impedance is 1.35 Ω it is clear some one has worked on the circuit.

Yes it does not prove anything, but as the electrician I know some one has done something to circuit.
I completely sympathise with this. I have recorded all sorts that have never seen a cert, and always running currents of motors.

Sponsored Links
A minor works or electrical installation certificate are not legal requirements, a compliance or completion certificate if required are a legal requirement.

The health and safety executive (HSE) however can insist one seeing records if some thing goes wrong, anything health and safety related must be in writing, but it seems in the main they are looking at the work place, but people do need to visit homes be it the police, ambulance, social services, etc. So for some one the home is a place of work.

And with the push for people to work from home many homes are peoples place of work, which has been a question raised, if some one is working from home and some thing goes wrong, what is the employers responsibility?

The HSE only seem to get involved after some thing goes wrong, and often the outcome is not what we would expect, at home we are often lone workers, and there are special rules for lone workers, and I will not claim to know all the ins and outs, but having the documentation I would think is a good start to show the home is safe to be used as a work place.

electrical installation certificate are not legal requirements
Is that right, interesting, so what is the lawful status of a domestic installation with Compliance and Completion Certs, but no DEIC then ? My understanding is it is the Electrician who issues the Compliance Certificate and BC the Completion Cert.

I can't see that a home worker would have any more special electrical requirements than that of the resident, simply some Mains Sockets - if the legal documentation was in place, would HSE still get involved ?

many homes are peoples place of work
This is a side issue, but ... surely this would require a Change of Use under planning laws, a private home is a Dwelling Place habitated by residents, not workers. You are 'permitted' a 'home office' to work from home, but that space should be subordinate to the main dwelling space, just one room, for example.
Anyone visiting a private dwelling such as police, ambulance, social services, or even gardener or postman ... should be covered by some form of Liability Cover, if they are coming in the guise of 'working'.
A Change of Use would also affect Council Tax, maybe to Business Rates for the room, CGT on your Property would be affected for the particular space, your Mortgage Co would need to get involved, and I am sure affect a raft of other property liabilities ...
The push for the home working thing has been brought about mostly by Covid, and would involve desk based workers only, planning rules allow just a desk, computer and phone only to be sited in the home office - but that is all, you could not have an employee taking home any form of fabricating equipment, or to any great degree storing any work related items, ie say for stock.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back