Minor works certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've got a few electrical jobs around the house I need completing, I'm getting a little confused with all the info out there and lack of it since regulations changed in 2013/14, just for the record I don't plan on doing this work myself. Electrical work to be done as follows: extra power socket, moving light switch, terminating/removing power socket and installation of down lights. All these jobs are in the kitchen and from what I understand this work is non-notifiable. If this work is carried out by a "competent" electrician who has the relevant qualifications e.g city and guilds 2392, 2382, 2397 etc can they issue a minor works certificate? Or do they need to be in a scheme such as napat/niceie to issue such a certificate, in other words can any qualified electrician issue a MWC. If this work is all non-notifiable then surly the certificate is just to say that the alterations have been done by a competent person to the correct standard and has been tested to ensure it is safe, and the MWC is solely for my record if ever I sell the house or for insurance purposes should an electrical fault cause damage and has no other relevance, if the work is notifiable I can understand that only electricians in schemes can self certify as they have to notify building control, am I correct?

Sponsored Links
Yes, more or less correct.

The work is not notifiable.

Anyone can issue the certificates and they are for your records.

There is no relation between the type of certificate and whether notifiable or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back