What's the worst that can happen? Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario:
A fully competent electrician, 20 years experience, with full C&G apprenticeship, has 2391 and 2382 carries out a board change on a friends property (for free). The friend did not inform the Local Authority of the "notifiable" work. The electrician, in possession of all the necessary test equipment, BS7671:2008, GN3, etc, completes the work and testing successfully and issues a model form Electrical Installation Certificate.

Question: Is either the friend and/ or the electrician liable for prosecution for not notifying of the work?

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware the only prosecutions that have come about are for shoddy or dangerous workmanship.

A bit like tasting a grape in a supermarket, technically its stealing and you're a thief, but what would happen if you were prosecuted for stealing a grape?

They could not, you have eaten all the evidence. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
possibly, but i think the council (if this scenario ever came to their attention ) may just use this as a loose threat, but really just want to get you to pay the regularisation fee and give you a completion cert so they can get back to tea and biscuits in the council house

Question: Is either the friend and/ or the electrician liable for prosecution for not notifying of the work?
Correct answer is "Yes, not notifying is an offence in itself".

The answer your 'friend' is looking for is, "Who would know and how would they find out?".

I await HIS response :D
prostrated_monk.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back