House rewire - should pendants be supported?

I have the odd one or two weighty glass ones if you like, i just assumed being a skilled job he'd have made adequate provision for this sort of thing not being unfamiliar i'm sure, with the types and weightage of fittings people like to have, would i be wrong then?

As far as dressing cables, it's not a biggy really i guess tidy work is too much to expect? Am i being picky? It's just little things like this, if the finish on a job is poor it makes all that hardwork they've done seem worthless, you know what i mean? That'd be my thinking anyway, although i can understand theres a cost/time element but still....the finishing touches make all the difference to me as a customer imo.

Sponsored Links
but you'll never see them once the floorboards go back down..

do you clean your engine with a toothbrush every weekend to keep it tidy? ;)

glass shades may not be suitable for the wire on the pendant.. there's a limit you know..

The maximum weight for a lampshade fixed to a normal pendant is 5kg.
2 plasterboard plugs and screws will easily support that weight.

If the lampshade weighs more than 5kg, it will need additional support from a hook and chain or some other fixing.

Come on Jack ;) if you were cleaning your engine once every 40 years you be using that toothbrush too :D

Okay so i'm being picky about the cabling, i'm still debating over the fixture support though.

Flameport - I'd assume 5kg would be the weight when hung from a supported cable though right?

Sponsored Links
If be knew you'd be hanging (or he will) heavy fittings then he should have them correctly supported.

I do use spiral fixings for mine, and I've never have a call back.

There are dozens of fitting cup types, about 50% of those can't contain a ceiling rose under them.

If the ceiling rose was spec'd and needs deconstruction back to choc blocks then the noggins / support plate can be retro fitted when that work is done.

If you asked for rose and flex, then it seems safe for the guy to supply support only for the required weight that will hang from the rose flex.

I'd suggest you agree that there's be a communications failure and explain what you need and accept some rework cost.

As for unruly cabling, it should run to fixed routes and be supported with some clips in floor voids. Enough support to define the route, and avoid the cable being in close proximity to gas, water, waste, comms, alarm, tv and speaker cabling.

It's not unreasonable to want regimented routes sub floor and saying "it's all covered by boards" is a tepid excuse for a job that's obviously being bashed in.
If that's to do with cost saving because you squeezed the extra pound of flesh off a quote, then :rolleyes:

Photos would help, if you want our thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back