Light Wiring Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've had my upstairs bedrooms reborded and skimmed. Now the ceiling lights in 2 of the rooms have the normal lve, netral and earth but the third room has the following:

3 black wires
3 red wires
1 gray (black inside)
1 green

It seems to me that this room completes a parallel circuit. Problem is how do I rewire the ceiling fixture? I gues one of the black and one of the red wires goes in to the loop section but how do i know which ones?

Thanks,

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Haven't taken the switch off yet, will this give me an indication?

Sponsored Links
Ok checked the switch and there are the normal 3 wires 1. live 2. netural 3. earth

Shall I get an electrician in?

3 black wires
3 red wires
1 gray (black inside)
1 green
It would be a good idea to get an electrician.

Meanwhile -
What does "1 grey (black inside)" mean?
1 green - is this three wires inside one piece of green&yellow sleeving?

I presume the green is the earth but no it isn't green and yellow.

The grey wire has a double coatsing so insulated firstly in black casing and then over that grey casing. Obviously some parellel circuit going on but I think it's best to call my electrician frind in!

Ps. Don't want to sound rude but putting; Probably not and no it isn't, is no help to anyone.

Don't want to sound rude but putting; Probably not and no it isn't, is no help to anyone.
Au contraire - I was merely pointing out that it is extremely unlikely that "one of the black and one of the red wires goes in to the loop section" with the implication that you should not try it.

Turn off the power.

Ignore the Grey for the time being. Safely cover the end and put out of the way. It's impossible to say what this may be from here.

Normally -

Connect all 3 reds together in the loop section, i.e. the centre portion of the ceiling rose.
One of the blacks will be the switched live returning from the switch. You will have to determine this by testing. Sleeve it with red and connect to the live connection of the rose.
The other two blacks go to the Neutral connection.
There should be a bare CPC (earth) from each of the cables. Sleeve them with green&yellow and connect to earth connection.

The live wire from the lamp (brown or red) will connect to the red sleeved black and
the neutral wire from the lamp (blue or black) will connect to the other two blacks.

Ps. Don't want to sound rude but putting; Probably not and no it isn't, is no help to anyone.
Don't want to sound rude, but you have to put some effort into helping yourself.

You could start by clicking the "No it isn't".

Thanks for the help guys.

Barn-all-shed - apologies I didn't know it was a link. Thanks for the help :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back