wiring problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im trying to wire a new spotlight without much luck!

The colours i have coming from my ceiling are:

wire 1: red, black, yellow/green
wire 2: red, black, yellow/green
wire 3: red, yellow/green
wire 4: red, yellow/green

could someone tell me what i connect the live and neutral wires of the light fitting itself?? thanks

Sponsored Links
watki_s said:
im trying to wire a new spotlight without much luck!

The colours i have coming from my ceiling are:

wire 1: red, black, yellow/green
wire 2: red, black, yellow/green
wire 3: red, yellow/green
wire 4: red, yellow/green

could someone tell me what i connect the live and neutral wires of the light fitting itself?? thanks

Suggest the following

Join wire 1 red,wire 2 red and wire 3 red together

Join wire 1 black, wire 2 black and light fitting neutral together

Join wire 4 red and light fitting live together

Join all yellow and greens together along with light fitting yellow and green

thanks, I have tried this arrangement but its not working properly. I can switch the one light off and on via the switch but the one light stays constantly on. anymore ideas?? someone pls help

I think you should ignore the howls of protest from here, grab your neon screwdriver, and use it to work out what wire goes where. What the function of each wire is.

Guessing is likely to result in a short. swelec's suggestion would have been my guess too. But if the lamp stays on it seems that, that particular red wire is permanently connected to live, and doesn't go to the light switch as expected.

Open up the switch, and have a look. It'll show you what sort of wires go there, and give you a clue what the ones at the light fitting might be.

Sponsored Links
watki_s said:
thanks, I have tried this arrangement but its not working properly. I can switch the one light off and on via the switch but the one light stays constantly on. anymore ideas?? someone pls help

Now I am confused

Where did this second light come from?

Please explain what you are doing

Yea - a second light has appeared!

Of of the T+E cables must go to a second light. But is this on the same switch, or a different one??

Photos please...

That's what I though initially, but then I reread and interpreted it slightly differently.

"I can switch the one light off and on via the switch" meaning, I can try to switch the light on an off by operating the switch on the wall.

"but the one light stays constantly on" meaning, but it doesn't do any good as the lamp stays lit.

Of course I could be way out on that :D

Right, In my living room I have two ceiling lights and 2 switches on the wall. I have wired the one light up ok. This works via both light switches.

The second light however, wired up in the way stated above stays permanently lit. It doesnt switch off at all via the switches.

Please help by telling us

1) what wires go to light one

2) what wires go to light two

3) what wires go to switch one

4) what wires go to switch two

I assume the switches are a two way switch system - is this correct

I trust you have checked the wall switch is wired correctly and working ?
Sometimes one misses the simple stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back