Help : Light Melted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I changed a standard ceiling rose light with a spotlight and all was well, light turned on and off, dimmed correctly etc. However, after a while of running (couple of hours) the light went out. When I went and looked it was very hot and after it cooled down I took it apart and found the innards were melted although the wiring itself was perfectly intact.

The wires coming from the wall are:
3 red wires
3 green and yellow wires
2 black wires
1 black wire with a small amount of red sheath on it (I assume it is the switch)

I wired this up by joining all the red wires together but did not connect them to the spotlight as I assumed these were the loop.
I wired the 2 black wires together and connected them to the blue wire on the spotlight.
I wired the 3 green and yellow together and connected them to the green and yellow on the spotlight.
I wired the 1 black wire with the red sheath to the brown wire on the spotlight.

Did I wire the light up incorrectly? If not then does anybody have any idea why it would have melted?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Was it supplied with a lamp and does the fitting instructions state a max lamp wattage.
If that has been exceeded it may well overheat the holder.

Sponsored Links
If you have followed the installation instructions, then take it back to the retailer & get a replacement.

Is it fitted with a dichroic lamp in place of a PAR?

Dichroic lamps are designed to radiate most of the heat they produce backwards into the fitting where a PAR (Parabolic Aluminiumised Reflector) projects most of the heat forwards with the light.

You say it was fitted on the ceiling... Was it designed for fitting to the ceiling ? Some spotlights designed for wall mounting depend on a vertical flow of air over the unit for cooling. When such a spotlight is fitted to a ceiling the air flow needed for cooling will be significantly reduced and may be in-adequate.

You say it was fitted on the ceiling... Was it designed for fitting to the ceiling ? Some spotlights designed for wall mounting depend on a vertical flow of air over the unit for cooling. When such a spotlight is fitted to a ceiling the air flow needed for cooling will be significantly reduced and may be in-adequate.

Sorry, I can see why from my original post you would think it was fitted to the ceiling but it was actually fitted onto a wall. For some reason the person who owned the house before me had fitted a ceiling rose onto a side wall and hooked the actual flex and lampshade over a piece of wood in the ceiling so it hung vertically.

Took one look at that when I completed on the house (last Friday) and decided it needed changing! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back