Replace flurescent kitchen ceiling light with spotlight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the flurescent light not noting how was wired. I now have 6 wires dangling from ceiling. 2 red, a black, a blue, a yellow, and a yellow and green.

Can someone identify what each of these wires are to enable me to connect my spotlight?

Sponsored Links
How many cables it is from and what colour wire belong to each cable.
Is it two way connection, meaning that can you turn it on/off from more than one point?

2 cables. Red, black, and earth from one cable.
Blue, yellow, red, and earth from other cable.
(Only one green and yellow cable hanging but appears to split into two bear wires going into each larger cable.)

Only one switch, but is a double switch.

Odd setup, but thats a good challenge.

I would hazzard a guess to put BLUE and BLACK in the NEUTRAL.

RED and RED into a terminal block on their own - not connect to the light fitting.

Yellow, sleeved RED, into the live terminal of the light.

Earth to ........well........earth.

See if this works. Worst case is your light is not going to work, you end up switching the lounge, the light wont turn off, the fuse blows.

But with limited info, this my 75% guess.

Sponsored Links
Ohh......double switch??

Possibly whip that double switch off and tell us what is in there. A photo would be even better.

Have taken photo but struggling to get it on this page.

2 cables running into double switch socket: Canle 1: Black, red and earth from one cable. Cable 2:yellow, blue and red from other cable. One earth cable again but with bare wires comingfrom each cable.

Cable 1: red runs to left switch, black runs to seperate junction.
Cable 2: yellow and red run to right switch, with a red cable going from right switch to left switch Blue runs to seperate junction next to black. Earth from both cables connected to base plate.

Posting a picture information is in "Forum information"

I should add that Ive never used the left switch. And although it was some time ago I removed the flurescent ceiling light...I think only three of the wires was attached.

You need to identify the purpose of the cables, the switch live cable is easy and can be done when the MCB (fuse) is off but you will need a basic meter to test continuity.
turn off the fuse
separate the two cables
touch with one prob of the meter the red wire and the black of the same cable, if it does not beep turn on the switch if this is the switch cable the meter will beep. The meaning is that the red is the live supply and via the switch the black is the live and should have a red/brown sleeve/tape on it.

If it does not beep in either position of the switch do the same with the other cable, red, blue and yellow.

You might find it helpful if you expose the cables behind the switch as advised by Lectrician.

Albert, the previous post is a description of whats in the switch as advised by lectrician.

Connect as per my first post.

Sounds like the second switch is switching the Twin and Earth that leaves that switch, with the ffed being derived from the 3 core via the flourescent.

Try connecting as per my original post to see what happens.

To post a pic, upload it to www.imagehost.us or similar, and then copy and paste that link into your post. Place
either end of the link you post to make the photo appear in the post, rather than it being a link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back