Fair price for a partial rewire of a 1 bed flat

Sponsored Links
£1350 sounds low to me, it sounds like the whole flat is being rewired except the sockets, right? plus EICR & PAT. I'd guess the electrician is trying to save money by using cheaper materials so they can make a wage.

the kitchen 1 is meant to be humidity based but the sparks fitted a switch which presumably will override the humidity sensors if the tenant can't be bothered switching it on?

Normally these are wired so that the fan comes on when the switch is on, and also comes on when the humidity is high even if the switch is off.

He's charging me £1,350 for all the work and materials:
- 2 extractor fans fitted (with 1 hole cored in bathroom)
- 2 smoke detectors and 1 heat detector (BRK brand)
- New RCD unit (CPN/ CUDIS)
Those are all low end cheap products, but then you are also paying a low end cheap price.
You appear to be getting what you are paying for.

Sponsored Links
Those are all low end cheap products, but then you are also paying a low end cheap price.

Is it just the extractor fans you are referring to as being "cheap products" or also the RCD unit and smoke/heat detectors?

I'm guessing that it's not so much of an issue for the RCD unit and smoke/heat detectors as performance isn't as much of an issue for them, in the sense that they need to work and be safe to a minimum standard anyway? Whereas the extractor fans are possibly less effective and unlikely to last ad long as better quality brands?

All of the products will be made to conform with the relavent standards. So they will function to the standard. But most of that list uses budget brands. For example CPN & CUDIS are at the low end price-wise.
Its like car brands. You want a car that will take you from Glasgow to Edinburgh on a regular basis. Which brand do you buy? An Audi or a Kia? Both cars meet the UK directives for motor vehicles. And will usually get you there.
I know which one I would buy.

All of the products will be made to conform with the relavent standards. So they will function to the standard. But most of that list uses budget brands. For example CPN & CUDIS are at the low end price-wise.
Its like car brands. You want a car that will take you from Glasgow to Edinburgh on a regular basis. Which brand do you buy? An Audi or a Kia? Both cars meet the UK directives for motor vehicles. And will usually get you there.
I know which one I would buy.

Is that really a valid comparison for an RCD unit and smoke/heat alarms?

Performance and style of a car is a big part of the price, i.e. how it gets you from A to B and how it looks. Gets you there possibly quicker, smoother drive, maybe more fuel efficiently and arguably in more style.

With an RCD unit and smoke alarms what in reality are you missing out on by going for a cheaper alternative? What concerns should I have if any with these cheaper brands in terms of actual performance?

For example, how long should the RCD unit last, decades?

Smoke/heat alarms should last 10 years?

I tested the bathroom 1 out by putting the shower on and closing the window. The fan didn't seem to make that much difference to condensation levels.
They don't; they can't.

Is that a comment about bathroom fans in general or specific to the airvent fan that was fitted?

Surely they must be doing something to reduce condensation levels otherwise what is the point of them?

I think Kia came well above Audi in the latest reliability survey so paying over the top just because of where it's made counts for little apart from snob value. Kia offer a longer warranty as well

I could ask him to fit a better quality extractor and pay the extra.

Is it straightforward enough to replace extractor fan units without too much effort?

How much should I pay for a decent performing extractor fan? Any brand/model recommendations?

I could ask him to fit a better quality extractor and pay the extra.
You could

Is it straightforward enough to replace extractor fan units without too much effort?
It depends. Some have standard connections for 4" ducting. Others haveback boxes that require sinking into walls/ceilings.

How much should I pay for a decent performing extractor fan? Any brand/model recommendations?
How long is a piece of string. A DECENT surface extractor fan something like this will be £70 +. An in line centrifugal fan, maybe twice that.
Of course, you could just buy a cheapo one for not much more than a tenner..

Had a look on screwfix at bathroom extractor fans and for the spec I'm looking for 100mm with a timer. There's only 1 that fits the bill and its £68, vent-axia
http://www.screwfix.com/p/vent-axia-va100xt-20w-axial-bathroom-fan/99080?_requestid=65835
Is it worth paying an extra £68 on top to get this fitted instead of the airvent 1?

Without the timer option, a lot of the other options seen to have a similar extraction rate to the airvent (about 75m3/hr), so I guess the difference in price presumably gives you a more reliable product but actual functional performance is similar (when it's working)?

I wouldn't fit the brand of consumer proposed, very flimsy and twists out of line and the rcbos had a.very.high.failure.rate.out.of.the.box.

I.also.would.not.recommend.my.keyboard.the.space.bar.has.just.stopped.working.

I tested the bathroom 1 out by putting the shower on and closing the window. The fan didn't seem to make that much difference to condensation levels.
They don't; they can't.
Is that a comment about bathroom fans in general or specific to the airvent fan that was fitted?
No. Physics.
If you have high (relative) humidity in warm air (shower) and cooler surfaces condensation will occur.
Unless the fan can instantly remove all the water vapour (which is impossible) then condensation will occur.
Fans cannot remove or change all the air in the room. They draw air out at a single point and it is replaced from a single point, likely under the door. This will cause a weak flow of air from the bottom of the door to the fan with very little mixing.

Surely they must be doing something to reduce condensation levels otherwise what is the point of them?
That is a good question.
Preventing smells travelling to the rest of the house is one 'point of them' - by expelling air from the bathroom and it being replaced by air from the rest of the house - eventually drawing in cooler or cold air from outside.
By doing this, eventually the condensation will evaporate and disappear. Unless there is a fundamental problem with the room (cold spots, excessive relative humidity in the house with little heating and general ventilation) this will occur within a few minutes anyway without a fan.
It may be that the rest of the house is very humid - sealed kitchen, lots of people and plants, washing drying etc. - drawing this humid air into the bathroom will cause it to condense on the cooler surfaces.

Leave all the doors and windows open permanently - there will be no condensation.

Therefore, if you think you need a fan, there are more serious problems.

I have said before - I managed flats - depending on the occupiers, the same property can be a mould-ridden hovel or a little palace.

There's only 1 that fits the bill and its £68, vent-axia
Look again: http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-xf100t-20w-axial-bathroom-fan/15927

Ultimately all of the products will work, the differences are in for how long and what features they have.
Cheap fans will last for a few years, probably be noisy due to sleeve bearings and axial blades, and only be basic on/off/timer efforts.
Better options will have ball bearings, centrifugal design to move more air, have a continuous low level extract with high level boost when required and comply with building regulations.
One example: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ADLVECOD.html

Cheap smoke alarms will probably last for 10 years, but the alkaline backup batteries inside will need replacement every 2-3 years.
Others have rechargeable lithium cells which do not need replacement, dual sensors etc. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EI2110.html

Cheap consumer units will work, but will inevitably be the dual RCD type where a single fault takes out half of the building. 3 letter / unbranded deals may not available in a few years time when an additional part is required due to a new circuit or some other alteration.
Decent brands such as Hager will cost more, as will having RCBOs instead of the dual RCD effort.

Like most things, you generally get what you pay for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back