Refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the summer I am thinking of starting a refurbishment on my mothers house. She recently passed away and left it to me in her will.

The house is now empty and my husband an I (as the queen would say) are thinking of doing most of the work ourselves. We will have an electrician in to do all of the work including a partial rewire. We will be leaving all of the wiring in for the sockets but replace all lighting (no earth) wiring .

I think I read somewhere that it is now a building regulation that all rooms must be fitted with smoke alarms and heat alarm in kitchen, is this correct.

Sponsored Links
That's just for new builds ("all new dwellings") so it's your choice what you install, there are still regulations governing the type and positioning of systems though I believe.

I would still want to do everything to current standards, even if not a total refurb. For example, sockets at new heights, smokes, RCBOs.

But you dont need smokes in all rooms. One upstairs, one downstairs, linked, is all the regs require AFAIK.

The house is now empty and my husband an I (as the queen would say) are thinking of doing most of the work ourselves. We will have an electrician in to do all of the work including a partial rewire. We will be leaving all of the wiring in for the sockets but replace all lighting (no earth) wiring .

Full rewire, seriously. It's almost a false economy to go for a partial, especially as doing the lights will involve opening up most of the main access routes. Do the job right.

Sponsored Links
Linda - sorry to hear of your loss - been there (Dad, not Mum), it's never good.

Are you doing this work because you want to live there, rent it out, or sell it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back