The right thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure why I am posting this, but I just thought i would share for the hell of it!!
Many years ago i worked for a company who provided Modular solutions to schools for additional classrooms etc, the company was fledgling and trying hard to become a market leader (it now is!! Built off site!!).

we were doing logistics work for summer holidays installations , and my job was to visit a few schools in the Kingston area, along with an electrician to just have a look in the switchroom to check for capacity, spare ways etc, to see how power could be taken off to new modular classroom.

On entering one school (cannot remember which one) and signing in at reception i asked were fuse room switchroom may be, lady directed me to cleaners cupboard!, we walked into the unlocked room to find a wall of fuses switches that were completely uncovered with no end of copper on display, some testing work was being undertaken ( apparently by the boroughs consultants who ultimately our company was trying to scmoozle to), the electrician, the person i was with could see what test was being undertaken by the instruments present, and explained the protocol for safe undertaking of this test ( locked doors! notices, etc).

We gleaned our information and went back to reception to sign out of school, I told receptionist that the cupboard/room should be locked immediately and no access to anyone not even cleaners until the company doing the testing re-visit, she asked is it dangerous, which of course i said yes, and without over emphasising, but explained there is a danger of death. of we went to the next school!!, within 20 mins i recieved a phone call from my bossess the company director asking what on earth had i said at this school, as they were undertaking a controlled evacuation of the pupils and staff and that there was some pretty frantic phone calls and panicking going on!!, I wasnt able to do anything but let it evolve, later that day when i met up with the director he insited that i should of said bugger all as it was nothing to do with us, I obviously shot him down on this as i still was right in my letting the receptionist know, however i can imagine the receptionist reporting immediately to the Headmistress that the schooll electricroom was lin a situation were ther was a risk to life, and can easily see how that esculated to evacuation!. I did get a phone call very late in the day from the headmistress, and still dont know weere she managed to get my number, to thank me for bringing the situation to the receptionists attention, we had a good discussion about weteher the school evacuation was nessessary, and in all fairness the way she heard the information it probably was!!

I didnt progresss far with that company, didnt want to really, but i still chuckle at how that afternoon unfolded.

Sponsored Links
I have been surprised at visiting schools how dated the installation is. I went to a number to PAT test and as well as extension leads under doors which was very visible error some were harder to find.

Lovely trunking carrying a an extension lead but went in one colour came out another colour so pulled off lid. A twisted wire tapped joint hidden in the mini trunking. Had he used the same colour wire I would have missed it.

I was lucky I had the time but so often with testing the guy has very tight times so hidden items like that are missed.

My complaint is not the same guy testing installation as testing appliances so items will be missed. Is a cable plugged in but lead in mini trunking to an array of sockets fixed or portable?

But the open panels are a problem where one is working basic alone. I was one of a pair of electricians we both had our own jobs but if a hand was required we could call on the other one and would take breaks together.

I needed a hand so went to find other guy. Found open panels and no guy. Phoned him and he said "I had to get home to look after the baby my girl friend works in local pub so can't work on." I phoned the boss who had to find a carer for his child and come and help me to make safe.

This started a heated argument who's fault? The electrician said the boss knew he needed to leave on time so he should have arranged for some one to take over the job. He did have a fair point. The boss said he should have done what I did and phoned him not just left it. Also a fair point. But I also know what the bosses answer would have been the same as with me "Hang on there I will be with you in an hour" which would have meant no one to look after the baby. The Client never knew what had gone on.

My son has often called me when a sole trader because he could not leave a job and this is something we all from time to time have problems with. When I injured my hand the last thing I thought about was who will finish the job. We all know we should not work alone but we all do. There should be always three people on the job so one to get medical assistance one who is injured and one to make safe but lucky if two on the job.

For electrical work the sole trader should not exist if looking at health and safety. OK house holder calls ambulance then who makes it safe?

There should be always three people on the job so one to get medical assistance one who is injured and one to make safe but lucky if two on the job.

For electrical work the sole trader should not exist if looking at health and safety. OK house holder calls ambulance then who makes it safe?

The installation shouldn't be unsafe at any time, even if you're working on it. If you've pulled the Big Fuse then the empty fuseholder or a shroud should have been put back in the cutout to prevent touching of live parts.

Even if you've just used the CU main switch, at some point you will be away from the CU for working or testing, and at that time the main switch really should be locked off. That only leaves the main switch incomer terminals live, and they should be fairly well shrouded. (Although they're not of course in most designs I've seen.)

Also useful to develop a 'buddy' relationship with a couple of other firms who will cover your work for emergency call outs etc when you can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back