MP LOSES COURT BATTLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From a recent newspaper artticle

Electrician sues Brian Donohoe MP over £64 bill
May 25 2008 By Marion Scott
AN MP is being sued by his electrician over an unpaid bill for £64.
Angry Dale McNair wants Brian Donohoe to stump up for advice he gave about the electrics at the politician's home.
He says the sum is a call-out charge which the Ayrshire Central MP is refusing to pay, despite the electrician flagging up potential dangers.
But Donohoe says any work done by McNair should have been covered by his offer in the phone book to offer "free expert advice."
Now the row has ended up in court after the electrician launched a civil action to get his money.
Labour MP Donohoe, 59, said: "It's not a case of I can't pay. I simply won't pay because Mr McNair's charges are utterly indefensible."
He said the electrics at his home in Irvine starting playing up at the end of last year and he decided to have the system checked out by an expert.
He added: "I knew parts of the system were old but I wanted to see if the problem could be isolated.
"It came to a head while I was away from home at theHouse of Commons and when I returned the fridge-freezer was affected by the circuit tripping, and it had defrosted.
"My wife Christine was none too impressed by the mess, and I went through the phone book and called a local firm which stated 'free expert advice' and 'inspection and testing'.
"After several calls, Mr McNair calledme one day and said he was in the area and he'd come and see me.
"He came into the house but instead of diagnosing what the problem was all he did was take out a screwdriver, remove a couple of screws and tell me what I already knew...that the system was old.
"In no way was that expert advice or an expert service. And it certainly wasn't doing what I had asked for, to have the problem expertly diagnosed.
But Mr McNair, whose DSM Electrical business in based in Drongan, near Ayr, said: "Free expert advice is not the same as a call-out charge. If that was the case I'd be out of business.
"Whether I take out my full tool box or just a screwdriver, it makes no difference. I was invited to go to that property, and I went.
"I told him the system was old and dangerous."
Mr McNair, who has been in the electrical business for four years and employs nine workers, was formerly director of Ciarin Home Designs Ltd which was dissolved two years ago.
His wife Frances, the company secretary, said: "Mr Donohoe's defence is that we offered free advice.
"But that information came from a phone book ad that's at least two years old."
"Everyone knows it's standard for plumbers, joiners and all trades to charge for call-outs.
"How does he expect small companies to do business otherwise?"
Mr McNair's action against the MP was adjourned last week at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court and will be heard next month.

SUNDAY EMAIL

[email protected]

This is from another electrical forum (I didn't write this article but I think it is interesting

----------------------------------------

Here is the outcome of the court yesterday:

Just reading the paper this morning:
MP Ordered to pay electricians bill

http://news.scotsman.com/politics?articleid=4373926

One of the few occasions when the system works

Sponsored Links
He'll probably add the cost to his expense account so we'll end up paying anyway...

Sponsored Links
The electrician should have made it plain on the telephone & on his arrival at the property that a fee was payable for his services.

What kind of a tradesman conducts a conversation with a potential client & then visits his home without making it clear to the person on either occasion he would be charged for his visit??

ss

I can see your point, I now make it perfectly clear when the meter starts ticking unless the client blatently has asked me to do 'work'

By work I mean tools out and a specific task, not a question or an opinion.

The bottom line (as the sheriff said) the MP invited the guy in (on an arranged day) to carry out a task.

when you ask someone to do something you should expect a charge, unless you ask for a free quote.

Good on the sparky,,,, politicians hate paying for anything. One Labour MSP :confused: from Aberdeen, Lewis MacDonald, bought a bottle of whisky as a PRIZE, to put into a raffle, he then tried to claim back the cost of the whisky as "expenses". Tight git!! He was found out anyway, and more or less told "you're not on". It was all in the local newspaper,,,, along with the details of other MSP's rejected claims. Crooked shower. :mad: I've never ever voted for any of them,,, ever, and even if you do vote, nothing changes.

Roughcaster.

Got more details on this

When Dale McNair of DSM Electrical in Drongan was called out by local MP Brian Donohoe early this year on a fault-finding visit, little did he suspect that his highly paid client would seek to avoid paying for the work done.

McNair had earlier provided Donohoe with advice over the telephone, but the Member of Parliament for Central Ayrshire had insisted on a personal visit - and on a Saturday morning at that. Despite McNair's advice that parts of his electrical installation represented a danger to his family, Donohoe did not ask McNair to carry out the work. When the £64 bill was received, it was not paid by the MP.

DSM Electrical pursued the MP for payment and was successful this month when the Court found that anyone calling out a tradesperson could expect to incur a call-out charge. Costs were also levied on Donohoe.

On several occasions during the proceedings, Donohoe reminded the Court that he is a Member of Parliament. Unsurprisingly, this did not result in support for his non-payment.

Donohoe, who hired a lawyer to present his reasons for non-payment, topped the House of Commons "Additional Costs" league table in 2006/2007 with a massive £22,100. Frances and Dale McNair conducted their own proceedings

"Bisto Kid" Brian Donohoe thought he was so important that he had to keep reminding the court that he was an MP. Claiming £22,100 for additional costs in 2006/2007? :eek: these gravy train, New Labour weasels and the rest,are getting away with murder. I have NO respect for any of them.. period!!... So glad that DSM Electrical won the day though.... :D

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back