Electric cut off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking after a shop for a friend which is empty, and has been for some time.
Anyhow the electric wasnt paid by the last tenant and the electric company is chasing him.
They have changed over the billing to the LL (friend ) and he has had his first bill, in November .
Because I have been a little busy, I havnt given it to him (or paid it with his instruction) to pay it , so its about a month overdue.
Today He had a fone call saying the electric will be cut off if he didnt pay.
Question is , what happens when they cutt the ellectric off and is it expensive to re-instate.
At the moment he doesnt even know what they are billing him for, he hasnt used any electric.
Unless its a standing charge.
I am going to pay it tomorrow, and see what amount its for.

Sponsored Links
If you allow the electric company access to the property then they will just remove the cutout which is easy to reinstate when you want reconnecting. If you don't allow them access then they will cut the cable in the street outside and pot end it. This will cost £££'s to have reinstated.

He may just keep it tbh, cos even empty he and me need light to see when we go there.
:D
How do they cut off internally ?

They will remove the cut out, this is the unit that contains the incoming supply conductors and main fuse.
Before they do this you will have received a notice of disconnection and 7 days notice of the disconnection. If the bill in question is questionable, contact the energy supplier to check that you are not being overcharged, they should also offer an arrangement to pay off any arrears in instalments, if the amount is too great to pay in one go, providing you keep paying for your continued usage.

Sponsored Links
Something not too dissimilar happened in the building I work in. In another unit,a tenant didn't pay his bills and the lecky was cut off - in this case by removing the suppliers fuse from their big 10 way x 3 phase fuse panel in th meter room. I believe the charge to come and put a new fuse in was something like £400.

Not a bad little earner seeing as it only needed the guy to cut a seal, pop the fuse in, and crimp a new seal on the box.

The electric supplier said it would be free.
Currently the shop supply is not in a contract with electric, they have said it will work out cheaper ( standing charge and kw/hr rate)to be on contract .
He is getting some silly standing charge at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back