To cut electricity in an outbuilding

I was thinking that in a house there is a main electrical panel with a main circuit breaker from which we can cut the electricty in all the house and with indiidual circuit breakers which could be used to cut the electricity in each part of the house if work need to be done in a particular part of a house without having to cut the electricity in all the house

Sponsored Links
I was thinking that in a house there is a main electrical panel with a main circuit breaker from which we can cut the electricty in all the house and with indiidual circuit breakers which could be used to cut the electricity in each part of the house if work need to be done in a particular part of a house without having to cut the electricity in all the house
...and you would be right to think that - so why do you think your room would not be one of those parts?

You keep asking questions but not answering them! Do you have a written agreement of rental that states that electricity for your 'room' is included or are you living illegally in a poorly converted garage? If it’s the former he shouldn’t be doing it. If it’s the latter, he shouldn’t be doing it and you don't really have a leg to stand on. Try to find somewhere else.

So which is it?

It is possible also that my landlord is deranged and greedy. He does not know how much I use of electricity and he is worried that I use too much. He accuses me of using £20 of electricity per day which is impossible for a small room like mine which proves that he is not normal.
Equates to about 80 units a day. 3KW heating on 24/7 would get close. Add a shower, cooking etc and you would be there.

Sponsored Links
We use more electricity in winter but it lasts only about three months

T

The calculation of winston1 should be wrong because in the website​

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/b...he-average-gas-and-electricity-bill-per-month

I found the following information:

What’s the average electricity bill per month?​

The government has not published its estimates for 2022 but British Gas estimated average electricity billsOpens in a new window by household type to be:

Flat or 1-bedroom house: £781.87 per year, or £65.16 per month
That is average. The website also said some use more than average.

Those averages are unrelated, as they assume all heating is via gas and that someone would use the same amount every day throughout the year.

Your landlord may or may not be correct about the amount being used.

£20 per day on electricity only is very possible in the winter. And in the summer with the way that certain people use things.

If you must use those averages, that 1 bed flat for £781 per year is based on 1800kWh. It also uses another 8000kWh for the gas, which for a total of 9800kWh on all electric would currently be around £3430 per year plus standing charges, or an average of around £10 per day.
As heating in the summer will be minimal, double that or £20 per day in the winter is entirely likely. Could easily be more in very cold weather.

My landlord cannot know how much electricity I use because I do not have my separate counter. And, his big house should use a lot more electricity than my small room

I have been rented this room for several years without any problem concerning my use of electricty so there should be something else under this maybe he wants to push me out to rent my room to someone else for more money

The average of £65.16 per month takes into account that in winter we use more electricity. The average of £65.16 per month is £2.14 per day and irrespectively of any complicated calculations that you can make I find that the diference between £2.14 per day and £20 per day is very big

My landlord cannot know how much electricity I use because I do not have my separate counter. And, his big house should use a lot more electricity than my small room

What appliances do you have and how long do you run each of them for per day?

@Auction What do you hope to achieve here? You now know that the landlord could switch a circuit breaker inside his house, very easily, which would disconnect the electricity from your room.

There are several possibilities that would cause you to lose your supply:
1. The electrical system is faulty and the landlord needs to get it repaired.
2. You are overloading the landlord's system and it is switching off automatically.
3 The landlord is switching it off.

We can't change any of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back