To cut electricity in an outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rent a room in a outbuilding at the end of a garden. And, my landlord lives in the main house.

My room has its own electrical panel with its own main circuit breaker which can cut all the electricity into my room.

However, my landlord is able to cut my electricity into my room from his house when he wishes without cutting the electricity in its own house.

I would like to know

1. If, there could be in the house of my landlord another circuit breaker that my landlord can use to cut the electricity in my room when he wishes without cutting the electricity in his house. In this case my room would have two main circuit breakers one in my room and another in the main house

2. Or, to do cut the electricity in my room without cutting its own electricity in his house my landlord has to hire an electrician (or do this himself) to entirely disconnect my room from the electric network. In this case if he succeeds to cut the electricity in my room from time to time without having entirely disconnected my room from the electrical network does it mean that my landlord has illegally messed up with the electrical network?

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly (1). Just has to flip a circuit breaker.

How could it be otherwise?

There has to be a way to switch off the electricity in your room supply cable.

Supply of electric as you seem to realise has rules, and I don't know them all, the main problem is not permitted to profit by the re-sale, but not sure how strict that is, I have driven onto many caravan sites and can't recall any where electric was metered.

But from the generator to the socket we have loads of safety devices, be it a fuse or trip, and it is unlikely that your supply is direct from the DNO so there will be some sort of overload. It could be a MCB but also could be a RCBO, and with any RCD be it on its own or combined with the MCB as a RCBO it is easy for an imbalance to trip it, so loss of power may be accidental due to a RCBO or RCD tripping.

Sponsored Links
My Garden Room has an MCB & Dual pole isolator from a Henley block. I also fitted a Rotary Isolator to join the internal cables to an external SWA.

Why is your landlord cutting the power? Is it a payment issue?

It is sure that there should be a mean to entirely cut the electricity in my room for example if electric work needs to be done in my room but there is already one mean of doing this inside my room itself because my room has its own electrical panel with small circuit breakers and a main circuit breaker which could be used to cut entirely the electricity in my room.

Hence, what I have difficulty to understand is how there could be a second circuit breaker in the main house itself to also entirely cut the electricity in my room without cutting the electricity of all the house or my landlord is illegally messing up with the electrical network?

My landlord cut electricity from time to time in my room because he accuses me of using too much electricity but he cannot know how much I use because my room does not have it own counter.

Yes, it is legally rented and I am living here

Your room may have it's own circuit so you can cut it from there but there will also be a switch in the house that he can flip on/off whenever.

Do you contribute the the electric costs or just pay a set rate for rent? Do you have a rental agreement showing this?

how there could be a second circuit breaker in the main house itself to also entirely cut the electricity in my room without cutting the electricity of all the house
The cable between the main house and your room requires overload and short circuit protection, just like any other circuit.
That is most likely provided by a circuit breaker, or possibly a fuse. Either way, it's an entirely normal arrangement.

If it is legally rented, the landlord cannot cut off your power on a whim

I pay a rent which includes anything and there is nothing about separate payment of electricity in the tenancy agreement.

According to the law my landlord has not the right to cut my electricity but not all landlords comply with the law

Is it the protection of the cable between the main house and my room in the garden already given by the main circuit breaker itself in the main electrical panel in the house?

Is it cost effective to use a circuit breaker to simply protect a cable?.

Do outside cables have already their own protection because of the material which made up them

Reading your earlier posts, are you living in a converted garage in somebody's garden? Does it comply with all building regulations?

Is it the protection of the cable between the main house and my room in the garden already given by the main circuit breaker itself in the main electrical panel in the house?
No. There is no 'main circuit breaker' and they are not called 'electrical panels' either. Such things are typically what's found in North America.

Your problem with the landlord turning off the supply is not an electrical one. You need legal advice, which cannot be provided on this forum.

If there is no 'main circuit breaker' and not 'electrical panel' in the British houses what there is? Maybe it is called in another way

I think that the problem is also electrical if my landlord has illegally messed up with the electricity.

I can complain to the Council and issue legal proceedings but how can the Council or the court prevent my landlord to cut my electricity when it wishes?
The solution could be that the Council or the court can order my landlord to do electrical modifications to prevent him from doing this but I need to know which

Does the only way to cut electricity in my room should be either to cut it using the circuit breaker in my room or to cut the electricity of all the house using a circuit breaker in the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back